Tully & Mission Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
September 30th 2012
Published: September 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


TownsvilleTownsvilleTownsville

Matilda in car park at the top of Castle Hill.
Amazingly we stopped at Tully. on the way to Cairns and found we were just in time to join the sugar mill tour which was really interesting even if it did smell of molasses the whole way around! Discovered that it rains in Tully more than any other place in Australia and guess what it rained for a few minutes while we were there! Our first rain!

Have just spent 3 wonderful days at Mission Beach The coast here is just beautiful with the beach 14kms long so we got out the bikes and road along the sand which was really good fun. Later we jumped quickly in and out of the water just to cool down as many locals said that the stingers have not arrived yet. Local Sunday market was on today with lots of prawns for sale at incredibly cheap prices compared to NZ and it was a pity we were on our bikes and not heading back to the motorhome! Had home made hamburgers for dinner instead! Spent happy hour today with some other campers and caravanners which is always nice. Some very interesting characters around.

Our campsite here on Mission beach is the main
TownsvilleTownsvilleTownsville

View of Townsville from Castle Hill
headquarters for backpackers to do a tandem skydive and yesterday they did 80 jumps so not a bad business at $300 each. Pete and I can just look up from where we are parked and see them all landing on the beach. Having done a skydive now I can really appreciate the yahoos and screams I hear from them!

Off to a free campsite tomorrow which has been highly recommended as it has great watering holes to cool off in with no crocodiles around!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TullyTully
Tully

Sugar cane train
TullyTully
Tully

Sugar cane factory we visited
TullyTully
Tully

Me at the top of the Gumboot in Tully to acknowledge that they have more rainfall than anywhere else!
Mission BeachMission Beach
Mission Beach

Biking on hard sand is a great way to exercise!


Tot: 0.871s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb