Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Maroochydore
Latest Blogs from Maroochydore
- May 19th 2013 Relaxing in Mooloolaba and onto Double Island Point
by Words: 435 Photos: 7
- November 14th 2012 Mooloolabah with rob, nessa and princess jazz
by Words: 221 Photos: 6
- December 5th 2011 Skydiving Sunshine Coast
by Words: 412 Photos: 11
- May 21st 2011 Warm Autumn Days
by Words: 615 Photos: 1
- September 11th 2010 2 years and done
by Words: 212 Photos: 13
- August 10th 2010 BFN Tours
by Words: 825 Photos: 4
- July 14th 2010 Sydney here we come.
by Words: 1154 Photos: 35
- February 28th 2010 Classes have officially begun! and a trip to Brisbane
by Words: 469 Photos: 7
- February 27th 2010 Fishing in Pumistone Passage
by Words: 529 Photos: 6
- February 19th 2010 The first couple days, it's hot here down under!
by Words: 1005 Photos: 5
- November 13th 2009 No Lights or Bells!
by Words: 1633 Photos: 12
- November 12th 2009 Feeling the Pressure
by Words: 1925 Photos: 3
- November 11th 2009 Broken Promises
by Words: 1745 Photos: 6
- November 10th 2009 Where’s This Then Pikey?
by Words: 1342 Photos: 5
- November 9th 2009 Crikey, Where’s the Sun Gone?
by Words: 1585 Photos: 1
- October 5th 2009 Quick Update before the 'real world' begins!
by Words: 330 Photos: 24
- September 16th 2009 Heading south
by Words: 1865 Photos: 1
- August 21st 2009 Fish, Fish, Fish...
by Words: 632 Photos: 5
- July 29th 2009 Mooloolaba Beach and O week
by Words: 510 Photos: 36
- March 17th 2009 Mooloolaba & St Patricks Day
by Words: 373 Photos: 0