Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Makay
Blogs from Makay
Latest Blogs from Makay
- October 16th 2012 Back from Clermont
by Words: 89 Photos: 1
- March 8th 2011 Makay
by Words: 30 Photos: 79
- November 22nd 2010 Setting off like a frog in a sock
by Words: 228 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2009 Day 13 - Mackay Airport
by Words: 197 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2009 East Coast Road Trip - Day 14 - Mackay
by Words: 357 Photos: 0
- May 10th 2008 Where else but QLD?
by Words: 371 Photos: 8
- May 4th 2007 Wintermoon Music Festival
by Words: 204 Photos: 38
- February 17th 2007 Which came first, the Turtle or the Eggs?
by Words: 1379 Photos: 11
- February 3rd 2007 I didn't want to be in Mackay.
by Words: 429 Photos: 0
- July 4th 2006 Gone North!!!!
by Words: 286 Photos: 0
- June 13th 2006 rain
by Words: 129 Photos: 0
- March 21st 2006 Stupid cyclone
by Words: 382 Photos: 5
- March 20th 2006 Fleeing Cyclone Larry
by Words: 90 Photos: 0