Bilyana to Kurrimine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Kurrimine Beach
June 12th 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tully BootTully BootTully Boot

Noel at the boot
Had breakfast after waking up around 7. We took our time, spoke to a few people there and left Bilyana around 9.30am.

Stopped in at Tully Tourist Information Centre. A very helpful lady there, with lots of knowledge about the area, recommended stopping in at Murdering Point Winery on our way to Kurramine Beach. She also said we should see Tully's Boot.

We found the boot in a park and it was over 8 metres high. This is Tully's highest recorded rain level. Unreal!! We drove around Tully and it was interesting to see the damage and repairs done since Yasi. Some fibro places were still standing despite the cyclone and yet some brick houses were almost demolished.

It was interesting to see the way the leaves are growing back on the trees with minimum branches.

We had a sandwich lunch before driving onto Kurrimine Beach via Mission Beach and Murdering Point Winery. Parts of Mission Beach were a mess.

The Queensland government really need to pull their finger out and help rebuild these areas. Many road signs are still laying flat on the ground while others are only half up. It looks like partial roads
Tully BootTully BootTully Boot

Ricky at the boot
around Bingal Bay were totally destroyed, particularly on the beach roads.

Murdering Point Winery was well worth the visit. I tasted most wines, ports and cream liqueurs while Noel only tasted a few. Well, someone had to drive!! We bought their Mulberry Port (which had been highly recommended by the lady at Tully Info Centre) and Mocha Cream.

We drove onto Kurrimine, checked out the various caravan parks and decided on the council park on the north side of town. We took the pups for walk along the beach, then had an early shower before a pasta and tuna tea, followed by rice cream for Noel and Mocha Cream for both of us. We had an early night as it had been quite a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tully BootTully Boot
Tully Boot

Effie, Van and pups from top of the boot.
Tully BootTully Boot
Tully Boot

Rain levels as shown inside the boot.
TullyTully
Tully

Photo ofphone box in a previous flood


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb