Kuranda


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Kuranda
February 24th 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, we woke up to rain but decided we had to venture out anyways. We headed down to Kuranda. It's a small town in the rainforest area. There is a train and a cablecar that go through the area. On our way out we encounter stopped traffic on the road yet again. We were stuck there for 30 - 45 minutes because you guessed it...a tree fell on the road again. The rain wasn't letting up and we found out the train wasn't running that day due to the weather. The cablecar was running but we decided against it as we couldn't see much anyways with the low cloud. Kuranda does have some markets so we decided to go and check those out.

They are very much hippie markets. Heaps of things from Thailand and SE Asia. A few aboriginal things and heaps of opals. We stopped at one stall that had kangaroo fur purses and bikinis, all kinds of things made out of roo fur. Kinda cool but pricey. We headed over to the other market, same kind of things. Lots of stalls were closed though because of the weather. I ended up buying a really pretty pair of earrings made out of peacock feathers.

We decided to go and check out Barron Falls. They are these huge waterfalls located not far out of town. We drove out there and it was still pouring rain. We grabbed the umbrellas and started walking. The clouds were really low in the valley and at first we could barely see the falls. Slowly the clouds moved and we got a stunning view of the falls. Even though it was pouring rain and we had to walk down to the falls it was worth it. And the rain was warm not cold!




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb