Nostalgia in the town of Hervey Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
January 14th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Kitesurfing 5 secs
Little CrabLittle CrabLittle Crab

Please note that this little creature has been released safe and sound. However, its parents were rather quite delicious ! ;)
Re-visiting Hervey Bay is more of a trip to memory lane for us. Ahhhhhh, Nostalgia is a bliss ! Standing in front of our very first humble abode once again flashed a flood of cherished memories making us feel all warm and fuzzy.

I’m ecstatic that the apartment where Jamie and I first lived in when we both left home is still left standing amidst of progress and new development creeping up in the town of Hervey Bay. I imagined that it might have already been demolished to make way for skyscrapers and world class resorts to accommodate the influx of tourists and wealthy retirees. I am very pleased to see that the town council has prevented the establishments of any monolithic forms of accommodations in the area. I am also happy to see more trees, parks and playgrounds along the beach esplanade. However, the outskirts of the town, which was a lush open fields became a business district littered with a plethora of business establishments from retail outlets, auto parts, building materials and fast food chain. Hervey Bay used to be a sleepy coastal town. The increasing popularity of Fraser Island as one of the best and must-see island in the world made Hervey Bay a busy jump-off point to the island. The strange thing is we haven't really thought about going to Fraser Island until now. I've been researching everything about the island, the things to do and must-see. We are hoping to go camping there this Easter.

We stayed in a self-contained cabin at the Colonial Log Cabins Resort. I was at the resort's laundry room when I met a young couple from Israel who just returned from camping at the island. They told me how it is the most beautiful place they've ever seen in their life ! So now I can't wait to see it for myself and started counting days 'til Easter.


Looking back more than a decade ago, the year we moved in to Hervey Bay was the major turning point in our life. It's Jamie and my first time to leave home and live together. Jamie also just graduated from University (and I still have few semesters left in finishing my degree). It was in the same year we got married and had a baby.

When we got back from our honeymoon in Sydney, we packed all our
SunsetSunsetSunset

Urangan, Hervey Bay
belongings in my red Nissan Bluebird car and drove to Hervey Bay to start a new life.............

and the rest is history !






Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

2km long Jetty2km long Jetty
2km long Jetty

Urangan, Hervey Bay
Catching crabs during low tideCatching crabs during low tide
Catching crabs during low tide

at Urangan, Hervey Bay
KitesurfingKitesurfing
Kitesurfing

Urangan, Hervey Bay
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Urangan, Hervey Bay
2km long Jetty2km long Jetty
2km long Jetty

Urangan, Hervey Bay
Rest AreaRest Area
Rest Area

Stopover on the way to Hervey Bay
Rest AreaRest Area
Rest Area

Stopover on the way to Hervey Bay
Our First ApartmentOur First Apartment
Our First Apartment

at Beach Rd. Pialba, Hervey Bay
On the way to the Blue StoreOn the way to the Blue Store
On the way to the Blue Store

The Convenient Store across the road where we lived
The Blue StoreThe Blue Store
The Blue Store

where we buy fish 'n chips and my favorite mango ice cream splice
My 3 boysMy 3 boys
My 3 boys

Pialba, Hervey Bay
Colonial Log Cabins ResortColonial Log Cabins Resort
Colonial Log Cabins Resort

Urangan, Hervey Bay
Our cabinOur cabin
Our cabin

at Colonial Log Cabins Resort


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 120; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb