Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
July 12th 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post


After jumping on the night bus from Airlie beach i caught up with the Irish girls,Norma, Fionnula and Cliona. Three cracking girls i met on mission beach and traveled with to Airlie. They went on the silent night a couple of days before me so had left Airlie before i finished. Met up with them on Saturday morning then straight on the boat out to Fraser. They had booked onto a guided tour on Fraser which sounded like a laugh and knowing them it would be! We arrived on Fraser early and jumped straight on the bus. The driver Peter was definitely a bit lively for this time in the morning. But we all soon caught up!

first of all we went out to Lake Mckenzie basically just one big freshwater lake but the first ten or so meters of water are crystal clear down to the sand....its's all sand did you know? the island that is. Biggest sand island in the world.

After the first lake we had some lunch then back on the bus. Out to another lake "basin lake", then for a stroll through the rainforest. Stopping en the route to take some stupid pics of Cliona climbing into hollowed out trees and swinging on the "tarzan styled " vine.

Day one done we retire to the dorms for food and too much goon! ( Wine @ $15 for 4 litres- real high class stuff!)

Up early again we went for a drive on the 75 mile long beach ( saw a dingo) down to the shipwreck. The shipwreck came about when the Japanese tried to tow it home from Melbourne........ Stronger rope next time ey!

We follow this by checking out some of the sand dunes. I never thought sand could be so much fun. Running up to the top of a sand hill then being told by Peter the guide to run to the edge and no matter how bad it looks, jump. I'm still waiting on one photo that shows how steep it is but it basically looks like the edge of a cliff!

A bit of lunch then up to the Indian head lookout. It's whale time at the moment and we saw a good few heading along the coast on the move. We also watched one crazy french bloke wander to the tip of lookout - we thought he must be mental! Two minutes later Peter went jogging along the same stretch of a slim cliff path! After the lookout we went to Eli creek for a quick dip / float. It runs down the hills and by the time it gets to the sea is nice and warm and you can literally lie back and float on down. After drying off a bit we took a drive out to another lookout to see over a few more of the dunes. Then off to catch the sunset. Sweet as couple of days, then back to Hervey bay for a few drinks whilst watching the Gaelic football with the girls till the early hours. Up early, and off we go down to Noosa!!!

Bye for now!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb