Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

maori wrassemaori wrassemaori wrasse

See I wasn't joking about the dog-like size
WOW. Matt and I went on a big fancy snorkling trip to the reef and the word really is wow. I haven't ever been snorkling anywhere and fear I may never be able to go again unless it's here... It feels like a once in a lifetime moment the first time you put your head under and see the entire eco system that's otherwise totally invisible from the surface. All this despite my not really liking fish... but it was just unimaginably cool.

We got to see three different reef sites, which was a little more expensive but well worth it. I don't think anything can top it - which is a bit of a bummer less than 2 weeks into our trip! The thing is - it really was just like Finding Nemo! We saw a few clownfish and two sea turtles (duuuuude). We also stroked a maori wrasse - they are huge, literally the size of a small dog. One of the crew members was throwing it bits of prawn to him and so when he came right up next to us we gave him a little a pat. They get their names from the distinct pattern on their faces - it was thought to look like the maori warrior tattoos, and we could see the resemblance. In reality it's almost neon - I'll attach a picture so you have some idea of its pattern and size.

Next we're (finally) moving on, down to Townsville and Magnetic Island. They're supposed to be lovely, full of tropical birds and koalas so we'll have to have a cuddle with one at some point. Then we're headed to Airlie Beach for a spot more sailing and snorkling, which Matt in particular is really excited to see. I just want to get surfing now!

We'll update you again soon, for now I'll leave you with a pic from google of a maori wrasse with a snorkler....

Advertisement



15th May 2011
maori wrasse

Holy Hairdoo that is a big Wrasse!
I loved snorkeling off GBR and your blog brought back some great memories, especially this picture! Wow.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb