Camping on Fraser Island on the coldest day in the last 4 Years!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post



Fraser island is the biggest sand island in the world, its just an island full of sand, rainforrests and lakes, no swimming in the sea aloud as man eating sharks flipping around!

The tour was based around 4 - wheel driving around the island, 9 in a group, the best bit was racing up and down the dirt tracks with everyone screaming in the back for you to slow down! we were given a shed- of-a -van! the doors were nearly hanging off at one point and it broke down just 10 minutes from returning back! It lasted the 3 days though so it did us proud!

There was 9 in our goup : me , kate, carl, kelly and dave, we then met Jock and Matt both from Grassington! and tom and Lucy. 4 other Vans were also driving around the island from out tour group so fun meeting up in different spots.

We set up camp around 4pm each day to get everything sorted before it got dark, dont forget its the middle of winter here and you can certainly feel it! we luckily just got out tents up and the boys managed to make some sort of cover for us to cook dinner ( still had water trickling down our backs most of the time and rain coming into our tents but we kept our spirits high! )

We visited Lake Wabby which was my favourite lake after trekking over sand dunes to get there, it was also surrounded by beautiful green rainforrest, all the boys rolled down th hill into the lake and luckily had a bit of sunshine for when they got out.
We the drive up to Lake McKenzie on the last day which was a gorgeous turquoise with white sand. Again the boys and a group of crazy irsh got in the freezing cold water!

Returned back to Hervey bay on the ferry to return our vans and a much deseved hot shower!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb