Daintree Rainforest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Daintree
August 29th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

making paints from rocks making paints from rocks making paints from rocks

aboriginals used ochre, charcoal, etc. to make paints
On Wednesday morning, I drove up to see various parts of the Daintree Rainforest. It's reported that "this World Heritage Listed area contains the highest number of plant and animal species that are rare, or threatened with extinction, anywhere in the world. The Daintree Rainforest is over one hundred and thirty-five million years old - the oldest in the world. Approximately 430 species of birds live among the trees, including 13 species that are found nowhere else in the world."

I first stopped at Mossman Gorge and to do a walk by the Kuku Yalanji people (aboriginal people who have been on the land forever). It was an informative walk about the plant life and how people survived/lived off the land. Our tour guide had some interesting stories about the area. I then went on to Daintree Village (and it really is a smalllll village). A handful of businesses and one of the locals guessed that maybe 100 people live in the greater area of Daintree. I stayed at a lovely B&B - Red Mill House - and the hosts Trish and Andrew treat everyone like family. They serve up an amazing breakfast with exotic fruits such as chocolate pudding fruit (it really looks like chocolate pudding - but doesn't taste like it). I had wine on the verandah with my neighbors in the room next door and we watched all the birds in the back of the B&B. The next day, I got an early start and went to the Discovery Center (an interpretive center in the rainforest which had tons of info about the animal/plant life) and a great tower so you could see the top of the canopy. I then went on to Cow Bay Beach - it was so great to have a beautiful little beach to yourself. In the afternoon, I went on a guided walk through the rainforest to a beautiful waterfall in upper Daintree. The guide was great (and once ran an eco-lodge in Belize and traveled all over Central/South America). It was interesting driving on the left side of the road and jumping on a car ferry to cross the river. I only saw one crocodile and didn't see any cassowaries (huge bird native to the area). However, it was beautiful and peaceful in that area and everyone was so friendly. The last night I had dinner with the neighbors and we had lovely lamb shank and fish.

I am now in Melbourne for the last week of my trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



31st August 2008

One week left..?
Wow, I will hate for it all to end... It has been so fun to see it all through your travels. What a fantastic journey!! I met up with Claudia last week, she looks fabulous and we had a great time. (short evening, but still great) We said that the 3 of us need to plan a reunion next summer when she comes home for good. VEGAS..? Let's get on it!! Stay safe...
31st August 2008

Wow!
Hey Carla, Looks like you're having an amazing trip! I can't believe all the cool things you've seen. Seems like the food has been a highlight, as well. Thanks so much for posting so we can all live vicariously through you. Have a great week and can't wait to have you back on our side of the planet. Hugs and good thoughts...

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb