Travel blog 22 to 29 June(Mossman to Charters Towers)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Charters Towers
June 29th 2008
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A mixed week-good start as we came south to Cairns,collected our caravan,and went inland to the south to Undara tubes.These are underground tubes formed by lava flow 130 million years ago.Photos show the tube and the colours caused by iron oxide-quite unique.Then proceeded down the Great Inland Way some 400km to Charters Towers, a mining town 130km west of Townsville.During the initial part of the journey the car felt very hot inside,we stopped to check coolant and carried on when it seemed normal.However at Charters Towers I made tel. calls and went to a local garage for advice.I was told the cooling fan was not working properly and needed replacement.And so we have been here since Wed. waiting for parts which we think arrived Sat.and should be put in the car tomorrow morning.It seemed sensible to have the cooling system working properly before we head west to Mt Isa and Alice Springs!We are getting used to the presence of road trains coming towards us on the highway but it's a bit nerve racking when(as with the Great Inland Way) much of the road is single sealed strip and gravel edges-the law requires us to give way.We have caught up with mining history locally while we have been becalmed.Yesterday went to Ravenswood -a gold mining town with a couple of classic old pubs.Still having trouble with maps but continue to try.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb