Eight Sevens


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Caloundra
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 56

2nd January 2009

Title(Seven, eights)

Again it’s somewhat difficult to produce the blog for the 2nd January as not that much happened. We are somewhat restricted by our own acceptance that whilst looking after someone else’s animals, you can’t spend that much time away from the appointed property.

What I do know is that we have been away 8 weeks today, that’s why we have given today’s blog the tag, (Eight Sevens).

I hope you guys don’t think this just happens, these fancy tags, like beetle mania, they do take some thought you know.

Anyway, you know the drill, get up, kettle on, let the dogs out, make tea, feed dogs, sit at laptop and do blog, for the day before, so its an accurate account of what has happened, warts and all.

The had a little truck tidy up this morning, and then got out, we were heading up to the Ewan Maddock dam just to have a look. We have been past this site many times and just thought we had better check it out.

When we got there a few families were putting their swimming kits in their cars as they had obviously been in the reservoir for a swim.
Located on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, the Ewen Maddock Dam is built across Addlington Creek. The dam has a surface area of 370 hectares and holds 16 700 ML of water at an average depth of 4.5 meters. Until 1989, the dam supplied water to the City.

Ewen Maddock himself was an early pioneer of Mooloolah and the Maddock family. They built a cottage near where the base of the dam wall is located today.

Adjoining the picnic area, Turpentine, Brush Box and Pink Bloodwood provide the shaded environment required by Bracken Fern and numerous rainforest species, while on the eastern side of the dam, Scribbly Gums emerge above the low shrubby heath.

A bird watching hide and wetland viewing platform provide excellent opportunities for viewing species such as Magpie Goose, Royal Spoonbill, Sacred Kingfisher and Plumed Whistling Duck.

We had a look around the trails for a decent walk but as predicted, by the weather forecasters it was starting to rain, and we just thought we would do something else and leave wait until it was sunny, probably tomorrow.

It was quite impressive and as usual there were public toilets, sign posted walks and the resovoir which you could swim in, and the contractors had just started a boardwalk, as a new project.

We went to grab some lunch in Landsborough and, I just started to feel off my game, you know that feeling when you just can’t pin point how you feel , you just feel off, anyway I had something to eat that I felt just made me feel worse.

We drove up the mountain road heading for Melany, and it was signed for a very steep road for 3.5Kilomters, I had to smile their was a road called the “Eagles Nest “ so I new 2 things were coming our way, Steeper roads and great views. Caroline and myself have been lucky enough the see the Eagles Nest in Bavaria, which was supposedly Hilters Alpine retreat. Its real name is the kehlstein House, or Kehlsteinhaus.

In English, this building is called the "Eagle's Nest," even though this is not a translation of the German name (simply "House on the Kehlstein (Mountain)"), and the Germans did not call it the "Eagle's Nest" (or Adlerhorst or any other such name). This name seems to have been first applied by the visiting French ambassador André François Poncet, and was picked up by the Allies. It was in use by the Americans and British by 1938.

This is also often called "Hitler's Tea House," but that is a misnomer. Although Martin Bormann was inspired to build the Kehlsteinhaus by Hitler's obvious fancy for the Teehaus on the Mooslahnerkopf, Hitler did not use the Kehlsteinhaus as an afternoon tea house, nor did he visit it regularly. Hitler used the Kehlsteinhaus only to show off to visiting dignitaries, and he probably did not visit it himself more than twenty times, as he did not like the height and the perceived dangers of lightning and the elevator. Bormann himself and Eva Braun did far more entertaining in the Kehlsteinhaus than did Hitler.

If you ever want a fantastic holiday, do go to Austria, yes I know there are no beaches, and its not rock and roll, but if you want somewhere that will take your breath away, then this is the place. The mountains in Obersaltsberg are just mind blowing.

Since Caroline has come out of rehab for “Frittaten Suppe” Pancake soup, addiction, we will be allowed back in to Austria, thank god we can’t get pancake soup in Australia. I could get Caroline to walk up Grobblockner (A mountain) for the promise of a bowl of soup

The views up Melany were fantastic, and some of the houses were even better, Caroline was in Buy, Buy, Buy, mode if only our bank account was that big.

We got back to Caloundra about 4.00pm and attended to the dogs, I have to say, that we still feel their would be no place for a dog in our lives, about the same feeling as Children really.

From here on the day had no more events worth talking about, we just read our books, washed up the cups and glasses we had been using, and watched a bit of tv.

We are eager to get on the road, and head South.

Finally yesterday we saw a classic, a guy on a Low loader trailer, off loading a Catapillar earth mover, with a high vist vest on.!!
AND FLIP FLOPS!!.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.771s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 28; qc: 191; dbt: 0.5553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb