George's Birthday


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 27th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dad's bungee jump 8 secs
I don't think anyone could have asked for a better birthday than George!

It was an early start but we were picked up by the Ocean Safari bus at 8.15am to be taken to the beach where we were being picked up by the Ocean Safari boat to get to the great barrier reef for our snorkling trip! At the reception, they knew it was George's birthday so he got a free cap and wet suit! Luckily as Matt and I were students, we also got free wet suits and Mum and Dad were advised to hire one as the sea wasn't too warm. On the boat me, Matt and George sat at the front where we were told that the sea was 'quite' choppy today. Well the ride to the reef was better than any theme park ride I've ever been on in my life! I didn't think we were going to make it ha! On our way out we were looking out for whales that they had apparently seen for 9 consecutive days in a row, but we saw none, typical! The crew on the boat were such typical aussies and so friendly!!! The fish we saw were amazing on the reef and Mum and George both saw huge turtles. Matt and George made good friends with the crew on the boat and before leaving the reef both decided flipping backwards off the side of the boat with the skilled crew would be a good idea! I decided against it and made friends with a nice French girl from Paris who unfortunately, however nice I was to her, didn't end up offering to me to stay in her house for a free weekend away!

We then left Cape Tribulation and headed to Cairns for the bungee jump! Needless to say everyone was feeling the nerves! It was supposed to be just Dad, Matt and George doing it but for some reason I decided to do it to when we had got there!! Mum was obviously never going to do it so she was the camera lady from the bottom. Climbing up to the top of the bungee was scary enough, I didn't even look over the top when we were up there! Matt went first and after asking us whether we wanted him to scream, ignored our answer of no and screamed anyway. I was up next and after a quick wave to the camera man and a count down somehow managed to step off the ledge and plunge towards the water! Next up was Dad... and YES he did it too!!!! He did want to be dunked in the water but unfortunately he didn't quite reach, that would have been a rather funny sight! We have video evidence of his jump which I shall try to upload. George was the last one to jump and we got the dvd of his for his birthday. We all got a t shirt and a certificate too.

When we arrived at our hotel in Cairns, we got ready for George's birthday meal at the Bushfire Flame Grill. Mum and Dad had it all booked and arranged so when we arrived we were guided to our VIP table in a little private sectioned off area, it was lovely! We had an all you can eat thing called 'Churrusco' where the waiters come and carve your meat off skewers at the table!! There was beef, pork, chorizo sausages, chicken, lamb and ribs, then potatoes and cheesy veg in the middle. We even got skewered pineapple with cinnamon sugar on! Dad had the special pudding all arranged for George's birthday and our dessert platter arrived with birthday messages around George's plate written in chocolate, it was amazing! We had a selection of different deserts including ice cream, cream centered chocolate pastries and churros to dip in melted choc! Once we were full to burst, we went back to our hotel to get a bit of sleep before our early 5 am start for our flight to Ayers Rock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



29th July 2011

You were all very brave, well done. What a great birthday for George and the meal sounded lovely. xxx
30th July 2011

George's Birthday
Hi everyone You look as if you had a fab birthday George - very envious. Grandpa and I love the piccies of you all and are looking forward to the next lot.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb