A Christmas holiday exploring far north Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
December 21st 2013
Published: February 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We started our Christmas adventure with a very early start to drive to the airport, before arriving in cairns around 9am, meaning we had a couple of hours to explore before picking up our Jucy campervan. We explored a Market on the esplanade and a couple of tourist information centres before grabbing breakfast and heading to collect the van.

The first thing we did after collecting the van was to head to a shopping centre north of town for food and alcohol supplies. Unfortunately tiredness induced delirium had set in by this point, and we didn't end up planning the meal shopping very well, ending up with a random food selection and not many possible meals!

We decided to head to a beach not far away to relax and try to catch up on sleep, to preserve what little remaining sanity we had!

The coastal drive to port douglas is absolutely stunning, so we thoroughly enjoyed the trip, stopping at all of the viewpoints along the way 😊 once we arrived in port douglas it was time for an early dinner, so we found a pub to eat in, followed by visiting another pub in town for the infamous cane toad racing! This was great entertainment, not to be found in many other places in the world! We didn't win any bets but left thoroughly entertained by people trying to herd toads, and many toads going to the toilet on fellow customers!

After cane toad racing it was time to find a place to camp for the night, so we drove around squashing every toad we saw on the way- highly entertaining! We finally found a bed for the night by a cane field, and slept very well after such a long day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb