Cairns...End of the Line


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
March 13th 2013
Published: March 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cairns

Our last stop in our tour of the Australian east coast and by far the most uncomfortable climate...everything was damp! When you weren't dodging the torrential rain showers, the 90+%!h(MISSING)umidity combined with the stifling heat meant that you were sweating constantly, not even sitting in the shade offered much respite. Because of this we spent the majority of our time wallowing in the man-made lagoon on the esplanade.




The lagoon - Absolutely no ball games but death defying acrobatics is acceptable!




Did someone call batman!? - Cairns is home to thousands of huge fruit bats, making it feel like you were walking down a street in Gotham city.



Training in the heat - While Rach was feeling faint, dizzy and sick, Tom was able to wring about a litre of water from his t-shirt. Credit should be given to the people of all shapes and sizes taking to the esplanade to take part in boot camps or even just out for a run with their dog or children because training in this heat is very tough!





Hiring bikes, after a relaxing cycle along the esplanade, ended up in a 50m sprint between Tom, Josh and Justin. The result being a broken bike for Justin, a broken toenail for Josh and Tom sailing through the line unaware of the trail of destruction behind.




Kangaroo burgers - The Green Ant Cantina is a must visit for anyone heading in the Cairns direction. The biggest and most delicious kangaroo burger on the East Coast.



Rach's first trip to the casino - While she was distraught at having lost $5 in her first gambling experience playing blackjack, watching an asian man wittle away $10,000 in the space of 10 minutes and laughing in his face (Josh) made us feel a little better about our losses.



Final farewells - After an eventful night out, with Josh winning the dance off with gangnam style, Kate leading a conga, Justin ruling the tables and a sweaty t-shirt exchange it was time to say goodbye.



Didgeridoo - Great effort was put in to the bbq night at Dreamtime backpackers, sampling kangaroo and crocodile, Rach decided to get cultural and was lucky enough to be chosen to play the didgeridoo. After an impressive fire show, Tom had a go at trying to master the poi, a lot harder than it looked!




Cape Tribulation

We went on an overnight trip to the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation. The bad weather meant that we were forced to wear ponchos for the entire time, and our rainforest "trek" wasn't quite what we had expected where a 15 minute walk along man-made paths was dragged out to 45 minutes. The second day was slightly more exciting with a croc spotting trip down the daintree river, although it might have been more exciting if a dead cow had been hung off the front of the boat to get the crocs going a bit. ..we will have to put that in their suggestion box.






Great barrier reef snorkelling trip:

Cairns is one of the most reknowned places to take a trip out to the world famous great barrier reef...and it did not disappoint!









- Finding nemo - It took us several hours and we had to be shown where to look by the resident marine biologist on the boat, but we found him! It turns out if finding nemo had been true to life, when Nemo's mum was eaten by the barracuda, nemos dad would have turned into Nemo's mum and nemo would have taken the place of his dad. ..might have made for some confused children watching that! Prizes for anyone who can spot him in the pictures because he is there:






- Not getting a picture of the turtles - the one picture we were dying to get the entire time we were in the water, and part of the reason Tom decided to buy a go pro in the first place. ...and the battery died on the go pro! This left us without a picture, and when we came with about 20cm of a surfacing turtle it was absolutely gutting but still an awesome experience.



- Modelling for the leaflet - Anyone heading Cairns direction, keep an eye out and you might see some faces you recognise on the Reef Experience brochure #famous



We had an absolutely incredible time in Aus, seen some incredible places, met some awesome poeple, but can't wait to get out of this heat and on to New Zealand and new adventures!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb