Another *&^# day in paradise!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
November 25th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

G'day mates:

Amazing past couple of days. Sat. we went by boat for an 1 1/2hr. ride out to the Great Barrier Reef. We snorkelled all around the reef just the two of us, and saw spectacular coral and beautiful fish, a huge clam, a shark and lots of other goodies. Then in the afternoon we went on another snorkel dive with a marine biologist. Those pictures were taken with an underwater camera and we can't send them right now but they were great and we had a ball. The weather has been absolutely spectacular. About, 75, navy sky - no wind and no clouds - doesn't get any better than that. The Silky Oaks resort was lush and gorgeous (see pictures); we ate way too much!David had some of the local food i.e kangaroo souffle - I think I prefer Yitz's baby beef.

Sun. - got up at 3:45 a.m. to go on our rescheduled hot air balloon ride. This time all was perfect, except for the fact that our bus hit a kangaroo that jumped out on the roadl. He really couldn't help it (the bus driver that it) and unfortunately the 'roo did not have a g'day at all, and it broke the rearview mirror and dented the bus, but alas, we continued on. The balloon was simply fabulous - so peaceful and calm at 5:30 in the morning, the lush tropics and farms were shown off beautifully from the air, and then all the fun began when we kept getting kangaroo sightings. We would see them in two's and three's hopping all through the woods - it was very special.
After an amazing champagne breakfast overlooking the Palm Cove/Coral Sea with mountains in the background, we went to Hartley's Crocodile farm. (see pictures) Adorable koalas, big ugly croc's (they performed and leapt out of the water to each fish bones which were dangled out in front of then by the drivers of the boats )- quite a site. The lagoon was all man made over the past 20 years, but felt very authentic. We learned about the Cassowary ( a relative of the ostrich - see picture)- apparently one of the most vicious beasts of all if it starts chasing you, you are basically toast (or part off a club sandwich). We capped off the day by going to the Aboriginal cultural centre called Tjapakui (the local Aborigines)where we learned about their customs, their dance and their views of creation. We also learned how the white man came in 1800's and basically took away all the land that they had enjoyed for the past 30,000 years with much brutality and savagery - more so than the natives had ever displayed.

We are now in Cairnes and going to bed early as we have yet another 4:00 a.m. wake-up to go to Syndey at 6:45 in the morning by plane. Hope you are all well. Thanks so much for your comments- we love to get them. Best to send emails to david's address at daw404@aol.com.


Love
Ruthie and David



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



26th November 2007

Fantastic pictures
Looks like you are having a great trip. Thanks for adding another travel desire to our list! Lots of love....Bets and Jim

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb