Leptospirosis and co


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
July 17th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HospitalHospitalHospital

This is how Marijke found me when she arrived. The nice red color in my face was not sunburn.
First, thanks for all the supportive messages I received from all you people.
I am back in Belgium now. Last week I got repatriated from Brisbane.
I was not planning on writing on my stay in the hospital but as a lot of you wondered what exactly happened to me out there, I decided to write this entry. If you are hoping for funny travel stories, you can stop reading here...

Saturday morning in Noosa on the lovely 'Sunshine Coast' in Queensland. The sun was shining and I decide to go for an early morning run before catching my bus to Brisbane. After I experienced on the mountain in Borneo that I was all but ready to tackle the mountains of the Andes later in the trip, I had started running again. I was slowly getting back in shape. Noosa was a good test as it's pretty hilly out there. The run went great and I got back statisfied about the progress.
After the run I ate breakfast, packed my bag and went to the bus stop. And that's when it happened.

Boom! All of a sudden a terrible headache hit me, I started to feel feverish, all my
HospitalHospitalHospital

and I wasn't really hungry.
muscles started to ache and I felt all energy flow away. I took some painkillers and managed to survive the 3 hour busride and drag myself to a hostel. I went to bed and stayed in there, the whole time for almost 2 days feeling totally miserable with always higher fevers.

On Monday morning my temperature went up to 40° so I went to a doctor who sent me to the Royal Brisbane Hospital. Half an hour later, I litteraly crashed (fainted) into the Emergency unit. They started asking me a million questions and got blood samples. At first no one had a clue what was happening and one senior doctor promised me I would be able to leave the hospital in the evening. But as all the blood tests started coming back negative they became less optimistic. However some one in the 'infectious diseases' unit thought I had 'dengue fever' but it would take a couple of days to be sure.
Marijke (my girlfriend) was arriving that night for some holidays in OZ and NZ and she needed to know where I was. So I called my hostel and asked them to tell her where I was, when
HospitalHospitalHospital

On Intensive Care just before I could move out of there. and yes I was somehow connected to all this stuff.
she arrived.

The diagnosis of 'Dengue fever' aka 'Breakbone fever' seemed very logical as I had almost all symptoms: terrible headache and muscle ache all over the body (hence the name 'breakbone fever'), a rash and very high fevers. There is no remedy available for 'dengue', so nothing much happened the next 2 days. I would have to 'sweat it out'. But the pain didn't get less at all. I was taking the maximum amount of painkillers but every time an hour before I could take the next dose I was going nuts from the pain. Luckily by then Marijke was by my side to calm me down.

After 2.5 days in the hospital things started to deteriorate fast. During the night I could hardly breath and the oxygen in my blood got really low. Even when asleep I was breathing as if had just finished a 400 m run. My heart was racing like crazy. A doctor suggested giving me some morfine, but I was not too fond of that. I don't like drugs and morfine is a bit too close to heroin for me. Also it's something I associate with dying people. They gave me something
HospitalHospitalHospital

My favourite nurse (Marijke), who sat beside me every day for 3 weeks.
a bit lighter and somehow the pain was supportable for a while.

Not for long though, by the next day (Thursday) the pain was back even stronger. This is were the doctors realised something was going seriously wrong with me. All dengue fever tests were negative. Instead I went into a state that they called 'multi-organ faillure'. My kidneys stopped working almost completely, my liver was showing values 5 times higher than normal and my lungs were in serious trouble too (making breathing nearly impossible). My whole body started to swell up (my weight went up from 82 to 88 to 92 kg in 3 days). And than they found out my heart was having problems also! The pressure in my right heart chamber was going dangerously close to the upper limit.

In the afternoon I couldn't take the pain anymore and they gave me a dose of morfine. After that it all becomes pretty blurry for me. I was taken from one test to the other. After a late night (I believe they had to get several specialists back to the hospital) test looking for blood clots in my lungs (negative), I was taken to the 'Intensive
HospitalHospitalHospital

My only visitors, a Belgian/Australian delegation: Hilde and Barbara. We were supposed to visit them instead they came to see me.
Care Unit (ICU)'. Still 'high' on morfine, I really didn't realize what was going at the time. I now know that I looked really bad because several people from the hospital staff told me afterwards that they thought I wouldn't make it through the night. The doctors had told Marijke she had to prepare for the worst and make sure my parents knew what was going on...
I only clearly remember that I got really angry about the transfer to ICU, because I just wanted to have some rest and 'go to sleep'. I now know that if they had let me go to sleep I would not have woken up the next morning!

I wasn't going to get sleep soon that night as they would be 'working on me' untill about 1 am. Putting all kind of tubes and lines in my chest (one straight into the heart) and arms. They also finally started pumping antibiotics (the maximum dose) in me.
All the while my poor/brave Marijke wasn't allowed to see me. She had been advised by the doctors how bad my situation was and must have been near despair. She spent the night on the hospital floor
HospitalHospitalHospital

Marijke looks for support in the arms of another guy.
next to my room.

The next morning (Friday) I was more or less stable but they still didn't know what I had. I was declared as extremely infectious, so all medical staff and visitors had to wear a full protective suit (almost like the movie 'Outbreak') as if I was suffering from 'Ebola'.
By the afternoon they thought they found out what was going on and immediatelly started a second antibiotics treatment. On Saturday I started to feel alive again and one day later I had recovered enough to leave Intensive care. I also got my appetite back...big time.

After that, I spent another 2 weeks in the hospital, getting huge doses of antibiotics pumped straight in my veins. Every 4 hours a new dose...also at night. After they woke me up for the 4 am dose I usually didn't go to sleep, instead I watched the World Cup evening matches live. It was great to see Australia get all excited about the World Cup and their 'Socceroos'...and get really dissapointed after they got cheated of a place in the quarter finals by an 'Italian Actor' (that's the nicest thing I heard about him afterwards) and a not so impartial referee.

After 2 weeks I finally got discharged and a couple of days later we were on a plane home. Because of the severness of my illness and the need for a long revalidation, the doctors would not allow me to continue my travels now. I was to be repatriated home and Marijke had to come with me as an 'escort' in case something would happen on the way home.

So what got me: The diagnosis of the hospital was a rare tropical bug called Leptospirosis and the more common streptococcen. I probably caught it throug a small cut I had in my toe. A small open wound and me walking around on flip flops all the the time and getting in the water (sea, rivers, pools) were probably the causes of a lot of trouble.
Together the two bacteria were able to raise hell in my body.
According to the doctors I have been extremely unlucky getting the Leptospirosis bug. Getting the combination of both bugs was even more improbable and will probably (according to my doctor) make me famous in the medical world as it is so uncommon.

People tell me: "You were
HospitalHospitalHospital

Waiting for the results of my final blood test and the 'OK' to fly home.
very lucky to get this in Australia and not in South East Asia". Sure, no doubt about that ... but I don't think I would have gotten it in SEA. I was a lot more careful over there and would never have walked around (let alone have swum) with an open wound. But in Australia I was in this 'safe and modern' country. What could happen to me?
The 'tropics' that's what happened to me. Whether you are in Central Africa, Brazil or Australia, the tropics are the tropics and there is a lot of bugs out there that can cause a lot of damage.
It's just another lesson in being humble towards nature. The fact of being in a 'modern, 1st world' country gave me a false sense of security. But a lot of things in nature can not be controlled... not even by the most advanced technology. Well you live, you learn...

So now I'm sitting at home still feeling pretty weak and getting tired very fast. The doctors tell me to be as calm as possible. No exercise, no sport... just resting. All of that is not really in my nature but I don't have much of a choice.
I was told that it usually takes about 5 months to fully recover from what I went trough... But than again my recovery in the hospital has been a lot swifter than normal. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for the kidneys and 7-8 weeks for the liver to get back to normal. In my case both had gotten back to normal after a week and a week and a half. So I am hoping on a faster recovery.

Anyway I'm back home now and I hope to soon be able to get out and meet some of you guys and girls.
You can still expect one more blog on the 3 weeks before I got Ill. So far I only uploaded some pictures. I'll try to get some stories on my (mis)adventures on the East Coast to go with them. It's been some time now, I'll have to get my notes out.





Advertisement



19th July 2006

Geeeeeeeeeez man...
I don't know what to say. Marijke kept me informed and, man was I scared. Anyway, glad to see you're doing much better. It's a pity your little adventure had to come to an end, but hey, what can you do. Anyway, now we all know you're a good writer and a great photographer! Get well!
19th July 2006

Phew
Hey Jan, I'm really pleased to hear you're all better now. You got us worried there!!! Anyhow, whenever you feel better, let me know and we can go out for a drink in Ghent (I now work in Oudenaarde...) or wherever... Have a swift recovery!! Jon.
19th July 2006

dag jan eerst en vooral is het heel goed om te horen dat alles goed gaat (mede door de perfecte zorgen van supernurse Marijke, denk toch dat het niet slecht was dat ze daar juist toen is toegekomen, alhoewel ze zich haar vakantie wel anders had voorgesteld), ik durf het niet goed te zeggen maar als ik naar laatste foto kijk moet ik inderdaad toegeven dat je er wel heel erg uitziet maar is goed om te horen dat je zo snel recupereert. Kijk toch wel uit naar je laatste blogs over de East Coast, is eigenlijk de enige mail in mijn inbox waar ik echt naar zat uit te kijken. PS: marijke, stinken die koala's nog altijd zo?
19th July 2006

Leptospirosis and C°
Hey Jan, Very creapy stuff to read ... We both hope that everything is going out the right direction concerning your recovering. Let's hope that you're back in shape as soon as possible. Nevertheless, we're happy to have you back home ... Back in your own environnement. And like most people, we're relieved to read what happend to you and that you - now you know what's going on - will fully recover. Beside this 'healthy-problems', we'll hope that you'll keep other unforgettable memories of your world trip (Part I ???). Andy & Lena
19th July 2006

Jan, glad to hear that you're back on your feet (I had almost written 'alive and kicking'...). For a safer experience of the Kaola's and such, I can really recommend Planckendael... (we were there this weekend: australian-like temperatures, koala's, kangaroos, ... ) Take care, denjames
20th July 2006

beestjes ...
Amai Jan, dat noemen ze door het oog van de naald kruipen, man! Heel blij je weer onder de 'levenden' te mogen verwelkomen. Hoe moeilijk het voor je ook is: neem alle tijd om volledig te recupereren. Omdat je sportman bent in hart en nieren recupereer je zo snel maar overhaast je niet. Anyway, de sportstage in Gent start op 22 juli: spring gerust es binnen voor een korte leuke babbel! We kijken er allemaal naar uit! Take care, Jan
20th July 2006

Leptos...ahh what???
Jan, I can't believe what happened to you. I am heading to Costa Rica in January. I know you will feel better by then so grab Marika and come! PS I am glad you are better.
24th July 2006

amai
amai , dat reisje was de ervaring wel ... ik ben er zeker van dat je met de goede familie en liefdeszorgen er wel bovenop geraakt! Super nurse was ook niet te versmaden.. Het beste en tot mails/ziens .. Frank
25th July 2006

Man man man
Hey Jan, Ik ben nu pas(!) op de hoogte van de situatie waarin je verkeerde. De laatste travelblogs had ik nog niet gelezen. Ben nogal geschrokken! Het moet een zware dobber (geweest) zijn voor je. Maar gelukkig ben je aan de beterhand en komt je lichaam er weer bovenop! Ik wens je veel sterkte...Binnenkort zal je weer energie op overschot hebben! Take care en tot binnenkort! De Smaele.
1st August 2006

Hej Jan! Hoppas du kryar på dig snabbt! Det var så obehagligt att läsa om din vistelse på sjukhuset! Tur att du är på benen igen! Vi är tillbaka i Sverige och jobbar! Många kramar
2nd August 2006

Kära Jan!
Jenny har berättat om dina resor och om din sjukdom. Idag gick jag in här och läste om eländet. Huuh, så hemskt.... Men så skönt att du är hemma igen. Det är ganska längesen vi träffades, men vi har dig i gott minne här på Underberga. Vi har också mycket fina minnen från din mor och Edgar -hälsa dem! Stor kram från Susanne och Ingemar PS Ingemar hade Amöba histolytica när han kom hem från Indien -han var också rejält sjuk. Men det var 30 år sen...DS
7th August 2006

niet veel
Met uitzondering uw morfinetrip hebt ge op de laatste dagen van uw wereldreis ni veel meegemaakt waar ik eventueel jaloers op zou kunnen zijn... (een luchtige noot is zo moeilijk om weg te laten voor mij é...;-) Behalve dan misschien het feit dat ge een goeie engelbewaarder blijkt te hebben. Stevig soortje onkruid gij, precies, en gelukkig maar! Als ge weer beke terug op de been zijt, kom dan s naar Bxl of Gent voor een lunchke of om ene te drinken. Zie ik misschien ook Katleen nog s terug, want ik ben blijkbaar ni interessant genoeg om alleen mee af te spreken...(neenee, graptjen zenne). Hou u goed en we zien of spreken elkaar in ' t kort wel s é!
11th August 2006

Hi ! I got goosebumps reading ur blog. I am addicted to reading travel blogs as I have the travel bug and get lots of inspirations... I am from Brisbane but travelling to South America in December. I found your blog completely sucked me in, and was even short of breath reading this entry! Thats crazy. We seem to forget that we are always in the position to get ourselves in these situacions, anywhere, anytime and its nice to read about this and maybe be more aware that these can happen to anyone. I hope your recovery is speedy and that you continue your travels soon.
23rd August 2006

jesus
hi. just happened to log on to your blog for the first time in months, wondering if you made it to nz, and saw your terrible news. sounds like you have been through hell, we are glad you made, what a nightmare, you don't look too good in the discharge photo. hope you are getting better everyday. take care kim and harvey

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb