South Bank Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Stafford
April 12th 2013
Published: April 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today I decided to explore the South Bank, Brisbane. In 1988 the EXPO exhibition was held on this site. Today there are a few relics from that time also some refurbishment of the area which took place after the exhibition. The South Bank is where most of the cultural centres lie, Queensland Performing Arts Centre, The Lyric and other theatres etc. As you cross Victoria Bridge from CBD there is a parkland area which stretches along the side of the river. As you begin the walk past the theatres the first thing you see is the Ferris Wheel, not sure if this was there during the EXPO exhibition or whether it was a later addition. Further along are cafes, a concert hall, pleasant walks through a small rainforest area and pathways with metals structures supporting bougainvillea very pretty. in addition to this a Nepalese Temple kept from the EXPO exhibition.

The next feature you come to is a man made beach,!!! Great for children although there is a deeper area where adults can swim it comes complete with sand to sunbathe or build sandcastles. After this the water from the beach becomes more of a stream and meanders through gardens providing shade and picnic areas. At the very end is a Marine Museum but to be honest it didnt look very interesting.

The city ferries transport people up and down the river but haven't tried these yet.

Spent part of the afternoon visiting the Art Museum which was an interesting mix of modern and ancient art, pottery and furniture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb