Whale Watching


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Moreton Island
June 23rd 2013
Published: June 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bee Gees WayBee Gees WayBee Gees Way

Checking out Bee Gee Way in Redcliffe, the area of Brisbane where the Gibb Bros spent most of their youth,
Today we headed over to Redcliffe checked out Bee Gee Way and headed out on a Whale Watching expedition with Brisbane Whale Watching.

REDCLIFFE

Was the Brisbane suburb the Gibbs brothers (Bee Gee's) grew up in. To honour their favourite sons an alley off the main street has been re-named Bee Gee Way. There is a bronze statue of the boys as they would have looked then and along the wall on one side is a series of photos and captions spanning their career. It was a walk back in time for us all.

BRISBANE WHALE WATCHING

Stroke of luck for us here! Don's sons best mate goes out with Kerry Lopez who operates Brisbane Whale Watching (she's almost family!). So we were invited on the Whale Watching tour as her guests. Kerry was really lovely as were all the crew of the Eye Spy our whale watching boat and we were looked after extremely well.

We boarded at Redcliffe Pier and headed across Moreton Bay and off the tip of Moreton Island (the 3rd largest sand island in the world, no less). On the way we received and extremely informative and interesting commentary on the
Whale WatchingWhale WatchingWhale Watching

OK so we've cheated a bit - clearly this is a Post Card! You'd think given the size of your average whale they'd be pretty easy to photograph, but the buggers had a special ability to leap from the water when your camera was focussed elsewhere! In the end we gave up on the photos and just concentrated on enjoying the experience.
Island and its history. Off the tip of the Island we were in prime Humpback whale watching territory. Before long we were amongst 3 pods of whales. They were cruising close to the surface and as time went on some came very close to the boat. A couple even casually swum underneath us! There was lots of fin and tail waving! Seeing the Whales in their natural environment was an incredible experience. Again we were treated to a very informative commentary. Highlight was sitting eating lunch watching two whales swimming along beside the boat! An incredible experience all round.

Unfortunately about an hour into the trip Jeanette got really sick. We assumed it was sea sickness but we've been home for about five hours and she's not in great shape. Hopefully she will bounce back after a good nights sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb