Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Indooroopilly
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Indooroopilly
Latest Blogs from Indooroopilly
- January 27th 2010 2010 adventure down under
by Words: 7263 Photos: 78
- July 4th 2009 ATW80: Adam and Jess' Wedding, Goodna
by Words: 599 Photos: 8
- July 3rd 2009 ATW80: Worst.Bet.Everrr
by Words: 710 Photos: 5
- January 10th 2009 Breezing Through Brisbane
by Words: 238 Photos: 5
- August 17th 2008 Pre-Trip
by Words: 322 Photos: 1
- October 18th 2007 Mot Brissie! igen...
by Words: 681 Photos: 1
- November 27th 2006 Cricket News
by Words: 306 Photos: 0
- January 24th 2006 Helllooooo
by Words: 131 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2006 Wha'da Beaudie!!!
by Words: 403 Photos: 0
- December 8th 2005 Is everyone packed and ready???
by Words: 188 Photos: 0
- July 10th 2005 Leaving home
by Words: 151 Photos: 3