Brisbane Tramway Museum - Fernygrove


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Brisbane Tramway Museum 107 secs
Last tram to runLast tram to runLast tram to run

This was the last tram to run a scheduled service in Brisbane.
The Brisbane Tramway Museum is located at Fernygrove, about 30 minutes by train from Central Station.

We were fortunate that a resident in our community arranged a mid week private experience riding the trams, some over 100 years old, and learning something of Brisbanes history.

These trams have had to be restored and are a credit to a devoted team who demonstrate great skill in restoring these important cars from our past.

The Museum runs open days where trams are working, mostly at weekends, so phone to find out when they are open.

There are a couple of trams under restoration currently and several fully restored working trams to try out. The oldest was built in 1901. This is a classic tram, and we must give credit to those who have restored, maintained and kept this tram fully functional.

There is also one example of the few trolley buses that entered service in Brisbane. Check it out and see if you agree with me that the transposed brake and accelerator pedals must have brought a few close calls.

There is a museum with all sorts of items from the tramways history - uniforms etc etc.
Last TramLast TramLast Tram

The drivers simple controls, air brakes and a speed controller.
Check out the arcing rectifier.

The trams reached their peak performance in 1945-46, but the post WW2 explosion of private cars finally put them out of service. The peak passengers carried is still not exceded by Qld Rails city service. It is interesting to note that many cities are looking at light rail to unclog their business areas from private cars. What's old can become new again!

We enjoyed our half day visit - I'm sure you will too!.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Last Tram 3Last Tram 3
Last Tram 3

These trams were quite comfy, but packed full at peak times
Tramway SignsTramway Signs
Tramway Signs

The museum has quite a collection of advertising and traffic signs from yesteryear.
Brisbane Trolley BusBrisbane Trolley Bus
Brisbane Trolley Bus

Only a few trolley buses entered service in Brisbane.
Trolley Bus Drivers CabTrolley Bus Drivers Cab
Trolley Bus Drivers Cab

Check out the seat! Also the transposed brake and accelerator peddles.
Trolley Bus SeatingTrolley Bus Seating
Trolley Bus Seating

The seating config on these buses is intriguing. I've not seen this style else where - maybe you have.
Over 100 years oldOver 100 years old
Over 100 years old

This tram is a classic and beautifully restored to full working order. These never had air brakes, so stopping was up to the motor man to hand crank the brakes.
The Toast RackThe Toast Rack
The Toast Rack

This trams were nick named 'The Toast Rack' due to their seating arrangements. They were also called the 'Jumping Jacks'. This came about due to the short wheel base and long overhangs giving a very bouncy ride.
Open or enclosed?Open or enclosed?
Open or enclosed?

Many trams had seating exposed to the weather. They had drop curtains to keep the rain out.


10th May 2012

Trailers Brisbane
Hi! it is the fact that Always so interesting to visit your site.What a great info thank you for sharing this will help me so much in my learning. Best wishes.
1st June 2012

Trailers Brisbane
That's really great site thanks for sharing .Trailers Brisbane
12th October 2012

nice post
Your post is so good! You know very well how to entertain the audience. I'm so happy that I took the time visit your website, because let me tell you. Not a lot of writers know how to balance information of a subject and content. used honda odyssey
15th February 2013

write my research paper cheap
Very amazing publish. I have formerly frequented this web log but have not left any feedback. I have saved the site. There were some informative ideas by the writer. Content are also excellent as well write my research paper for me
15th February 2013

Brisbane tramway museum
Thanks for visiting my blog. Rob
16th December 2015

great
It has the trailers that has been used for centuries, and what's great about it is that they do their duty as a keeper of the trailer.

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 166; dbt: 0.1978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb