Days 1 and 2 mostly oblivion


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Brisbane in a Day. I think



Newcastle is such a great airport to fly from. Easily accessible, easy to park car and easy to check in and get to the gate. I think we accomplished all, together with coffee in hand in just 10minutes.

We spent the quick 1 1/4 hr reading and snoozing and contemplating the plethora of key developments up the coast. Wouldn't like to own property there with imminent sea level rise.

We waited patiently for the lurid green campa from Jucy. Self considered possibility that campa rates are low as they simply don't employ enough staff. All very pleasant though and despite me feeling dangerously wobbly we set out to do Brisbane in a day!

Interesting contrasts between the ultra Dubai look-alike towers and the colonial masterpieces dotted around the central area. Sprinkled liberally with public art most of which was very appealing. After stopping in a very pleasant cafe for lunch, a literal kind of 'if I don't go in here I might not see any more of Brisbane' sort of stop we made our way down to the wharf to catch a wondrous citycat. Perfect, bargain price for a leisurely look at the city down to the University of Queensland. Brisbane is certainly a city of bridges and if there aren't enough there seem to be plenty more being built. It is interesting to see the city wrapped around by the water. G mentioned how the first sailing boats must have had their work cut out sailing up the channel, veering and tacking all the time.

Unfortunately the Queensland ARt Gallery proved too much for one day for a 'sickie' so we transported my poor bronchial self to the kindly ministrations of friends in Cornubia. Mags and her husband Peter were forward thinking 20 years ago and bought up several acre blocks of land in this bush suburb and have built a superbly positioned house looking out all the way to Stradbroke Island.

Seafood pasta and a good healthy dose of Jamaica memorabilia passed the evening pleasantly. We watched The Harder they Come by Jimmy Cliff made in 1973. Memories of people. places and culture flooded back as we laughed at remembered expressions and tried to explain that yes they were speaking English and what they were saying.

Lying in bed, relishing the silence, enjoying the lack of concrete plants and coal loaders we drifted off to sleep broken only by my intermittent unhealthy coughing. Ah, well. At least I am here. Next test will be to upload photos when not on your own computer. Mmm we'll see.

Advertisement



19th July 2009

Very well done sickie
Well I must say i'm awfully impressed, blog and on the road and everything! Good practice for India indeed! Sounds like you're having fun, don't push yourself too much though sickie, remember you are on h-o-l-i-d-a-y! Lots of love and kisses j xoxoxo
21st July 2009

Meryl!!!
Hello! Great to be reading your blog, how are you? Look forward to the next installment, Love C and M xxxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb