4 Weeks Today


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Alexander Headland
December 5th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Letting Out AirLetting Out AirLetting Out Air

Preparing the tyre pressure for the beach drive.
A busy start to the day heralded that today was moving out day from the apartment, after completing some chores we finished our packing. We had to go and get the number plate for the trailer, as we mentioned before the truck and the trailer have different registration plates.

We packed all our stuff and had purchased some storage boxes that would be useful when packing up the camper trailer, and when it came to moving the stuff from the apartment to the trailer our theory was confirmed. It al had to be packed logically for obvious reasons.

The trailer was finally hitched to the truck, and we were off, our first stop was back to Camping Country to exchange a light we had purchased and to collect the awning, that we forgot to put in, we had got them a box of sweeties just to say thank you for the excellent service.

Caroline was navigating, thankfully or else we would have ended up were we had started if I was. Tewantin ferry was our destination to take us over to Rainbow Beach via the North Shore, you have to buy a permit to camp over on the
Lonely TrackLonely TrackLonely Track

This is at cutting 2 to Teewah Beach
North Shore which we did as it is all National Park.

The fuel was looking very low but we still had the reserve tank, I thought it prudent to fill the main tank half way, as the lady issuing the permits said we had 41 kilometres of beach to drive first, and as I had to be in 4 wheel drive, the truck would not be that economical.
The attendant said we could camp on the beach after 22 Kilometres and this stretch of camping lasts 15 Kilometres, the lady also exclaimed there was at least 500 other groups already over so we would not be alone.

The ferry was boarded and the charge was handed to the attendant, we asked him if the tyre pressure needed reducing and he said they should be at 20 PSI, so when we got over to the other side this is what we had to do, we drove through the cutting and onto the beach.

I have ridden on sand many times on the dirt bike, so I felt the principle would be the same, it is important to follow existing tracks as they are usually safe, paying specific attention
On the BeachOn the BeachOn the Beach

Yikes, we are actually driving down the beach.
to the wash outs, which is basically water inlets that carve a channel across the beach, they can be at least 16” deep which may not seem like much but when you hit them at speed it could cause a huge problem.

We covered the 41 Kliks in about 1 ½ hours and whilst driving up the beach we were overtaken by various 4x4’s towing jet skis, caravans and trailers of all descriptions, they all passed us in convoy so we assumed that they were all friends going away together for the weekend.

The final challenge was getting off the beach in to the National Park. Still in 4 wheel drive, we picked our way as directed but the truck bogged down., we reversed some way and tried again, but we got bogged down again. We reversed all the way back and I could see a woman beckoning me who was standing in the sea with her family who were fishing, when we got up to her, she said that she had been watching us and everyone today had had the same trouble and what was need was to get a good run up and let the speed
M25M25M25

This is as bad as the M25, people speeding past us.
carry you through the soft sand which was about 20 mtrs, then under the sand was a rough track which would be easy to navigate.
We did a loop on the beach then headed for the inlet at some speed, still in 4 wheel drive.

Caroline’s face was a picture, for this white knuckle ride, we managed to clear the soft sand and get in to the national park.

By this time when we got to a camping site it was 6.00pm, and it gets dark at 7.00, we really did goof here, by no fault of our own, but towing the new trailer tent, and only having ½ hour induction when we picked it up we just about got it to some kind of semblance before we couldn’t see a hand in front of our face. There was absolutely no chance of getting the awning up so we said we would leave it until we had enough time to properly see how it was to be put up.

We were so tired last night we went straight to bed without any food inside us rationalising that we would have some in the morning.

Our nights
Waiting in the WingsWaiting in the WingsWaiting in the Wings

No sooner does someone pass there is another waiting behind you!
sleep was OK, but the pillows we had purchased were rubbish as they were too soft, so we will have to make better provision tomorrow night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The SeaThe Sea
The Sea

The tide was actually still going out, it was roughly an hour before the tide was due to turn to come back in.
Racing against the TideRacing against the Tide
Racing against the Tide

It really did feel as if you were racing mother nature, the adrenaline was pumping
The RigThe Rig
The Rig

Here we are on the beach, looking glamorous.
Pitching the Camper TrailerPitching the Camper Trailer
Pitching the Camper Trailer

First try here goes
Wendy HouseWendy House
Wendy House

Well this is our Wendy House on Wheels. What a great concept.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb