Woolianna (Monday 16th June - Thursday 19th June)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
June 19th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With a couple more days to fill in before we were due to head into Darwin we decided to spend our time on the Daly River and Woolianna. With a memory of camping trips of times gone by spent on the sandy banks of the Daly River, I was very surprised to be greeted with a shady caravan park complete with facilities, green grass and a pool!

We set up camp, launched the tinnie and enjoyed a refreshing swim in the pool. The little girls were reacquainted with some friends that we had met at the hot springs so were very happy to spend a couple of days playing and swimming.

We headed out for a serious family fishing trip on our first full day at the river, putting in a good four hours motoring along, trolling lure’s and fishing snags, as well as feeding girls and providing entertainment along the way. Unfortunately our efforts went unrewarded with no fish caught! Highlights of the fishing safari were seeing lots of crocs including some very large specimens and witnessing a capsized tinnie and a rescue effort in place. Not a very nice spot to fall in! You would be running on water to get out of that river.
On the second day we started manufacturing our zebra rock into jewellery shaped pieces, Carrie hack sawing and Tahlia and Ella working with the wet/dry sandpaper. This project is going to be much more time consuming and difficult than first thought!

Matt recruited another fisherman and ventured out for another attempt at capturing that elusive Barra. Unfortunately still no fish to be found. We made up for our lack of fishing luck by eating the last of our Streaky Bay King George Whiting that night, delicious!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb