Day 8 Off to Uluru and Kata Tjuta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
November 4th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So today we leave Sydney and head off to Ayers Rock or Uluru as the natives like you to call it. We're flying to Ayers Rock though so obviously Australian airport authority doesn't care!

We used the train again as our hotel was so close to the station. Trains here are double deckers. Very cool. Remember what I said about it being an ordinary commuter train? Well I have now found out that if you get off at the airport stops the fare is $15. If you get off the next stop down then it's only $4!!!! Rip off eh! At least London runs special train services to charge you three times the price.

Talking of airports there was quite a queue for bag drop off. Not a problem you would say, you're on holiday so chill......... Well not if you are married to a man whose last two jobs have involved transforming Gatwick and Edinburgh airports. As our children would confirm, any trip through a new airport involves a full SWOT analysis. Very tiring. Virgin Australia scored 3/10 for efficiency although food court scored better!

After a lovely flight with Virgin Australia including watching the Great Gatsby (tell me was the volume levels so erratic if you saw it in the cinema?) it was on a resort bus and on our way. Coming into land was fantastic with the colours of the desert (officially it's not a desert it's a semi arid region). You even saw Uluru although no picky as phones were already off.

We stayed at 'sails in the desert' which was very comfortable. The whole place is just one big resort so no real opportunity to eat out etc. All the staff live on site as nearest town is 460cm away. Lots of foreign staff - we spent a lot of time speculating why? But didn't get an answer!

So our first trip was the Uluru sunset and a walk through Kata Tjuta (the 36 domes). Walk first (3km) which was amazing. It was quite rocky and by now the temperatures were about 39 Celsius so obviously a bit hot. Ian and I were the only ones without hats! Sensible pair eh! Also lots of flies who apparently are persistent as they are after your sweat. Nice! As you can see from my piccy as we got back on the bus, I
First glimpse of Uluru First glimpse of Uluru First glimpse of Uluru

From the coach as missed a photo from the plane
was a particular feast. Still we got to the end of the gorge and back so felt very proud.

From there a well deserved glass of wine (or several in Ian's case) as we watched the sunset over Uluru. Even with lots of people around there is a real sense of the majestic around the rock and it really does take your breath away,

Our trip today still didn't quench my thirst for information. Maybe tomorrow??

Early night as we are up for the sunrise tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kata Tjuta walkKata Tjuta walk
Kata Tjuta walk

At the start
Made it!Made it!
Made it!

The end point. Now just need to walk back. That's me doing the Australian salute (i.e fly waving)
ShortyShorty
Shorty

My attempt at a selfie but my arms aren't long enough!
End of the walkEnd of the walk
End of the walk

Maybe a hat would have helped. Not sure though, my head was fine. It just the red face and sweat!!!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb