17 - 18 June 2012


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Edith Falls had served us well but it was now time to hit the track and explore more of the NT. Most of the day was spent driving towards our next destination, Litchfield National Park.

By mid-afternoon we had arrived and found a campsite for the night near Florence Falls. With so much to see we parked the van, grabbed our gear and started walking towards the Falls. If first impressions are accurate then Litchfield is going to show us some incredible landscape. The walk down was fantastic as tropical trees lined the path and with the thick canopy overhead the warm sun was blocked out.

The Falls were great and seemed to be a popular tourist spot with plenty of people down there for an afternoon swim or to admire nature at its best. It was hard work getting in for a swim as we had to navigate over slippery rocks but it was well worth it.

The following morning we made tracks to a better campsite around near Wangi Falls and it was lucky we got in early as this spot was a popular destination. We then drove around to Green Ant Creek and hiked a few k's to a natural pool that overlooked a waterfall cascading down the hillside. We were not the only ones there; a large lizard was cooling on a rock in the morning sun and that made for a great photo.

Next stop was Tolmer Falls where we walked out to a vantage point that overlooked the Falls and deep valley below. From there we dropped in at a cafe in Litchfield that had just re-opened that day after being destroyed by lightning the previous year. Double thumbs up to the homemade mango cheesecake.

After the light refreshments we thought we would head back around to our campsite and walk down to Wangi Falls. This is a major tourist attraction with cars and tourist buses able to park only a few hundred metres from the Falls and natural pool. There were probably 100 tourists or so but we found a spare space on the lawn to dump our belongings and take a dip. You were able to swim out and get as close to the Falls as possible and there were even a few rock platforms at the far side where a few people were sunbathing in the afternoon sun.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb