Berry Springs To Litchfield National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

11-8-09 Off to town today to get Prescription, book into Drs, flash lube for car, Jockey plate etc all those little things that take time. Went & saw Centrelink for an appointment & walked out with a heap of forms to fill in, honest they want to know how many times you go to the loo each day, what time & what you did. UNREAL !!!! We have to see them Friday ( Yippee ) We then decided to go to The Catalyst Club for lunch. We both had a burger & a little drinkies , it was nice after the stress of Centrelink. We got home & we had new neighbours , two very nice couples, all professionals & on holidays for a month in NT. They have been doing it for 5 years now. The two “girls” are sisters & they drive the cars & vans up to either Alice or Darwin & the guys fly up & the girls meet them at the airport. Because of the guys professions they only can get a month off per year & this way if the girls drive the vans up they can have more time holidaying. They are our age & we immediately clicked, of course they drank like we do , so all good. We had tea & then joined them for happy hour which turned into 3 hours, & then they said they were going to Berry Springs Hot pools for a BBQ tomorrow, so big mouth me invited ourselves along. I then had to go to bed, I had had enough.

12-8-09 Well had to go & apologise for inviting ourselves to the hot pools with them for lunch, they laughed & said that they had invited us anyway, So we got ready & met at the picnic ground , We all had a swim ( yes me !!! Again ) the water is such a perfect temperature . We had a great lunch Kenny had made Prawn Vol-au-vonts & Di made pizza’s all on the BBQ, we had taken Steak & salad , so we all shared. We sat around eating, drinking & swimming, We all had a great day & went home for tea & then had an early night

13/8/09 Well got up feeling a bit off, I had a wog & spent most of day on the loo in between trying to get ready for the Centrelink appointment tomorrow, filling out forms & finding papers we needed. After lunch I had a lay down & Den went & got a few groceries. I felt better after a sleep & after Den had tea, I had water, we went over for a drink with the neighbours, just water for me though. We had an early night.

14-8-09 We got up & embarrassed Di as it is her birthday today, we sang her Happy Birthday at the top of our voice & she is going SHHHHHH . Off to Centrelink & Dr’s today, oh what fun, We were at Centrelink for almost 2 hours & in the end had too much money in the bank , as the way they worked it they classed our caravan as home & that put us into a lower asset test, so we were over the limit, & also because the way Dens employment separation certificate was filled out it looked like he got all his holiday pay on the 3/8/09 ( instead we had been paid weekly ) So he would have to wait 8 weeks anyway, so by this time we gave up. So in the end we can apply for a health card in 8 weeks which will help with my medication & maybe in 13 weeks apply for new start if out assets are under the limit, I am probably a good candidate for a disability pension, we will have to see . We had a big headache by this time so we went to lunch at the Catalyst club to drown our sorrows (only kidding) will have to ring the accountant to see what he can do. Went to the Dr’s to then, Den has lost 15 kgs since coming on the trip & I have found it ( not happy Jan ) So DR has sent him for blood tests just in case, he is down to 72kgs , but feels good, not sick. The Dr reckons he should be 66kgs for his MBI , he would be skin & bone. I got a script & then he said we were out of time & I would have to come back another day. Thanks very much, $95 each. So made an appointment for next Tuesday as Den’s results will be beck then. We got home to two very pleased dogs as it was tea time. We had tea & then had happy hour with the neighbours as we had a cake for Di’s birthday. The girls enjoyed the cake too (the dogs that is). Another late night.

15-8-09 Den went off to have his blood test & when he got home we packed a picnic lunch & went out to see Wagait Beach & Mandorah where the ferry goes across to Darwin. It was very hot & we took the girls for a walk on Wagait beach, but they could not have a swim as there are Crocs there. We let the girls get their feet wet but that’s all. It was a beautiful beach , the colours of the rocks & the water was magnificent, but we burned our feet, the sand was so hot ,& Annie & Jessie were jumping too. We then went around to Mandorah & thought we might be able to have a drink at the pub , but alas no dogs & it was too hot to leave them in the car. We had a look at the jetty then , there was no where to have a picnic under shade so we headed back to the van, the trip was 140 km return. We had a picnic lunch under the awning & then we started to pack up as we are off to Litchfield Tourist Park tomorrow at the National Park. Den washed the car & awning, my back is playing up so did what I could. We had tea then went & had our last Happy hour with the neighbours & exchanged phone no’s & addresses & went off to bed.

16-8-09 Off to Batchelor & the Caravan Park after saying goodbye to everyone. It’s about 115 km’s to the park & after booking in at $26 a night we could pick our own spot. We got a great secluded drive through grassy site & set up camp. We are here for 4 nights till Thursday. It is a nice park, the owners like dogs & the will even baby sit them for you. They have a bar & Restaurant & you can even sit in the beer garden outside with the dogs. We set off for The Magnetic Termite Mounds, they are fascinating , they build their mound facing north , south so they get the benefit of the mound being cool. We then went 4 wheel driving out to see the Lost City, The track is narrow & rough but I think Den had a good time dodging trees. We got to the Lost City that consists of towers of rocks in the middle of nowhere , they are all shapes, colours & sizes, truly amazing. We had our lunch there & then went back to Buley Rockhole , which was a series of small waterfalls running into deep pools. It was very crowded as it was Sunday. The water looked inviting but we decided to go to Florence Falls to see the plunge pool there. We walked to the lookout where we could see the waterfall & people swimming in the plunge pool. We decided to walk down via 135 steps to the bottom of the Falls. We had a swim which was very refreshing & we had a lovely paddle to the bottom of the falls. We dried off ready for the big walk back via the 135 steps, which I was puffing when we reached the top. Off back to the van as we had enough & decided to grab the girls & go for a drink at the Park Pub, it was nice to relax. We had 1 drink & then we cooked meatloaf & baked vegs & damper ( yummy) . By this time we had German neighbours in a motor home with 4 kids, they had set up 2 tents under our windows ( so much for our secluded spot ).There is no TV, internet & phone coverage is very bad. Occasionally I get a message through but hard to answer back. After tea we took the girls for a walk & dodged heaps of Cane Toads, Den went to the loo & came hurrying back & said grab the torch & the camera, there’s a snake outside the men’s loo in the garden. So off we went & the green tree snake was 3 mts long we took some pics & I said to Den, between the Toads & Snakes I was not going outside the van at night. I would loved to have seen Kara’s face seeing what we saw xxx. It was off to bed then.

17/8/09 We packed a picnic lunch & headed off to Blyth Homestead which was 4 wheel drive only. We got about .5 km down the track & came across .6 mts water in a river bed, we were not sure how deep it was & there was a sign no swimming Crocs, so we turned around & went to Walkers Creek, we had heard it was good off Tom, Di, Paul & Kenny. So we carried our lunch & swimming gear into the track. There were 8 levels of Camps & water falls & pools. We got to no 3 & we left our gear there & walked up to all the others falls we reckoned about 5 kms return, it was hot & steep in parts & I was pleased to get back to no 3 for a swim, how anyone carries all their camping gear all that way to camp amazed us. There was only room for 1 small tent or a couple of swags at each camp. Well Den cracked a beer & I took my wine in for a swim & we floated around on our noodles & had the most relaxing swim in this perfect Oasis. We swam to the waterfall & just chilled out. We then had our Picnic lunch of Damper, ham & cheese it was all too perfect & we were the only ones there. Thanks guys for recommending Walker Creek & No 3 is definitely the best. We then talked to other people that said the road was passable to Blyth Homestead & there was 2 river crossings, so we decided to give it a go. So off we went again, the big adventurers Ha! Ha! Down the track again & this time Den put the car into low range 4 wheel drive & went for it , no problems, the water came up to the sill of the car but none came in . We then went for another 4 km on rough dirt & came to another river , this one wider & deeper, but we got through fine, we were laughing by this time. We got to Blyth homestead that was built in 1928 & abandoned in 1960. They had a tin mine at the back of the house. How anyone lived there & got supplies over two river crossings & a bad dirt road is beyond me. We then started back & it was fun 4 wheel driving & pushing through the rivers, we came home to let the girls out as they had been in the van all day. We got tea & I was tired & sore so went to bed early.

18-8-09 up early & did the washing & cleaned the van & defrosted the freezer, no one has seen my maid , I am really wanting her to do her job now. Had a shower & off to Darwin to get a few more bits & pieces ( like a camera as someone - me - dropped the other one in the sand & it got sand in the lens & would not shut or do anything ) bulbs for lights etc. We then went grocery shopping & then to the DR’s . Den for the results of his blood tests, which he has to have another blood test, his iron count was high & his cholesterol too, which we cant understand as he has lost weight & has been eating very healthy. All other tests were OK so that part was good. He will go in Katherine to have blood test & probably see the Dr in Kununurra. I just had a girlie 2 yearly test that all us woman hate, & had to get another script. We bought a kilo of prawns for tea & it took 1 & ½ hours to get back to Batchelor, it was nearly dark. We then unpacked the groceries & got the washing off & had our prawns & I am catching up on the blog & photos. Will go to bed shortly.

19-8-09 Well today was a catch up day, we clipped the girls & bathed them, then I coloured & cut my hair, Den had a clip the other day. We packed up the annex & as much as we could as we are off tomorrow for Katherine . Den had a swim in the pool & I prepared tea , then we went up to the restaurant for a couple of drinks, it was nice & relaxing. We came back , had tea & had an early night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



20th August 2009

Hiya
Hi Travellers, Shelly I am surprised you didn't just throw the camera at Den and tell him to take a pic of the snake and show you when he got back hahaha i would of . The landscape is unbelievable isnt it , what a great country we have , and what lovely ppl you meet along the way from all walks of life just appreciating what this country has to offer . With all that climbing can understand why Den has lost weight , but shell let me tell you it sucks cus us girls do the same or do more and the boys drop the weight always been the case , next time we hear from you i guess you would of crossed the border , also you mentioned you made damper proud of ya girl did you make it in your cobb oven or what ? Well stay safe and take care till next time . love from Marg and Warwick
23rd August 2009

share recipe
Ok girl come on share your combo recipe for damper , that way us homebody ppl can have a go at it . you know we gotta rate it for ya , tis our job .............and hey isnt this a first you giving me a recipe haha.. if you do ever by a extremely small chance run into karleen and athol ask her about her cobb oven she cooks in it all the time got it down pact before she left and loves it , going to have to get mine out and give it another go again. Well happy camping and cooking . love marg

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb