KINGS CANYON


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kings Canyon
December 1st 2011
Published: December 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Heading north we stop off to see Australia’s version of the Grand Canyon. Kings Canyon. We stayed at another Voyages Resort with camping which was as good as the Yulara one.

We were warned at reception about the dingos and to not leave the dog on his own. Which we realised was no exaggeration when later that night when we were having dinner our van got surrounded by 3 dingos all howling and looking ready to try a piece of tasty blue cattle dog for dinner! We promptly shoved him in the van where he stayed till the sun came up!

The creek walk into the canyon was easy and lovely. The big walk (Canyon Rim Walk) was too long for us to do so we were a bit cheeky and just did the first part which was the hardest part but took you up to an unreal view looking down into the canyon

From here we headed to the Meteorite craters to camp for the night. This was the hottest day of our entire trip so far. It was very dry hot and windy. We took a short cut to get here which was all red dirt and the first 20km was tough, we could only get up to 10km an hour with the van on the back. It got better as we went which is unusual but we are grateful that it did. We got to camp at about 2pm and couldn’t do a thing but lay in the shade and wait for the sun to go down. Finally at 7pm the sun went behind the range and we could get up and move around.

We enjoyed this little camp (once the sun went down), we had it all to ourselves. A storm in the distance gave us a great lightning show and when the wind changed direction the temperature dropped instantly. Unfortunately it was a bit of a sleepless night due to the wind picking up to ferocious speeds and rocking the van around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Steep climb up the canyon.Steep climb up the canyon.
Steep climb up the canyon.

It is just after 7pm and it is still incredibly hot!


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb