Canyon Trek Essentials - Chocolate and KFC


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The next day we grabbed some supplies from the nearby filling station and got the bus to Kings Canyon for the 6km walk. My wife quite anxious about taking our son and daughter on this walk as many of the pictures she had seen of the canyon showed the steep shear drops, however it wasn’t too bad and we made sure that we kept them on a tight grip for certain parts of it. The pace was quite slow, given the AAT Kings usual clientele, but at least that meant that it wasn’t too hard for the children. We took a stash of chocolate with us to keep them going and our guide, Jenny, was on hand during the walk with her usual fantastic commentary.

There was an optional diversion to the Garden of Eden, so our son and I and some others did the round-trip down there and back, whilst the remainder waited at the top and enjoyed the views. There was also a walk to the rock ledge where we sat when I came here on the back-packers’ tour all those years ago (see The First of The Three Grand Canyons), although that wasn’t an option this time as it was apparently too dangerous.

Our daughter was bewitching everyone and people were constantly talking to her. We also got lots of complements about how well behaved the two of them were - which they were, at least when other people were around.

After the tour we went back to Alice Springs. As we checked in, we were told that it was the day of the Australian census and, as we were in the country, we were also required to complete the paperwork.

They also told us that we had been upgraded to a suite. This was huge and excellent, although we did need an additional bed bought in. I went out for a run with instructions to go via a Kentucky Fried Chicken on the way back, which did seem to defeat the point of going for a run. Along with the chocolate, it had worked well as a bribe for the good behaviour during the 6km walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Canyon GardensCanyon Gardens
Canyon Gardens

The gardens at the bottom of the canyon
Canyon GardensCanyon Gardens
Canyon Gardens

The gardens at the bottom of the canyon
Lost CityLost City
Lost City

The rocks of the Lost City near the canyon
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Flowers and a butterfly
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Flowers near Carmichael's Crag


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb