Katherine Gorge National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
September 14th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Since we couldn’t stop at Gunlom for a swim we decided to head to Edith Falls. Because we have come in the end of the dry season the falls were not really spectacular, but the plunge pool which is fringed with large Pandanus was very inviting and cooled us all down. We had a quick lunch on the grass before heading off again. Our next stop was Katherine to stock up on some fresh fruit and vegies before heading into Mitmiluk National Park.

There is a number of ways to explore the 13 Gorge’s in Mitmiluk, like canoeing, helicopter flights, bush walking and Boat cruises. We decided to do a dawn breakfast cruise. It is a little bit expensive at $250 for the 4 of us but, this cruise allows you to discover the first 2 gorge’s before all the canoeists and other boats start invading the gorge’s water way. And you get a cooked breakfast.

On the way out of the National Park we decided to stop and visit “The largest classroom in the world” Katherine School of the Air. Katherine School of the air has been in operation for over 40years and covers 800,000 square kilometres. They have approx 250 students starting at Pre School and finishing at Year 10, who live on cattle stations and aboriginal communities, even students who are travelling interstate and overseas. KSA started off broadcasting on the Royal flying Doctors service radio frequency, now students are taught using printed materials, Skype, interactive satellite links, the internet and distance education material. The school children only get to meet up with their other school friends and teacher for one week twice a year, in June and December. It was really interesting to watch the teacher in the studio and the students on their computers interacting with their teacher, and the other students in their year level. Brianna wants us to buy a cattle station, in the NT so that she can do her schooling over the air.

We now have a long 545 km drive over to Kununurra in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, but that will have its own blog.

The Mierans



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



8th October 2010
2nd Gorge

WoW!!

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb