Day 83 Jabiru to Katherine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine » Katherine Gorge
September 25th 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 83 Jabiru to Katherine (Fri 24th Sept)

Up, had breakfast and all packed to go by 0730 this morning. Our first stop was up a little hill to see some old shelters with some more rock art. Some gorgeous views, interesting art, and even a little exercise to start the day...

We made a stop by a billabong to see the birds, then we also stopped by a waterhole for lunch and a swim. I skipped on the swim but did find a comfy rock to sit on and dangle my feet a bit. It was lovely and cool in the shade with little fish swimming around but fortunately no crocs. Although there were signs saying crocs can get in to the area. Needless to say we all waited for Wombat to jump in first - just in case.

Next stop in the afternoon was Edith falls, where some people went for a hike up the top, some went swimming, and a few of us just enjoyed a cold drink in the shade. Our last stop of the day was in Katherine itself. Mainly to buy ingredients for dinner and so people could restock alcohol supplies. Everyone
Billabong SignBillabong SignBillabong Sign

Careful of those crocs...
needs ID to purchase alcohol in the Northern Territory and Tomas was a bit confused by this - he thought they were checking his age!! (For those who don’t remember, Tomas is retired...)

Tomas was doing some Spanish food for everyone tonight. Since it was made with rather a lot of pepper, I made my own and therefore got to eat a few hour earlier than everyone else! They waited until nearly 2200 to eat and everyone was voracious by then. It was mildly amusing to watch, and there wasn’t much talking during dinner! We had a fire outside and a few drinks before going to bed. This campsite had permanent tents too though not as new as the other ones. They had bunks in them but there were enough tents that a small group like us could have one each - and it’s nice to have our own space for a night even if all we do in it is sleep.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

On the RoadOn the Road
On the Road

Ants anyone?


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb