Kata Tjuta aka The Olgas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kata Tjuta
July 15th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A early morning wake up takes up to the 36 domes of The Olgas, covering an area of 21.68 km2 (8.37 sq mi), composed of conglomerate, a sedimentary rock consisting of cobbles and boulders cemented by a matrix of sandstone. The highest point, Mount Olga, is 1,066 m (3,497 ft) above sea level, and (650 ft) higher than Uluru.

The hike today is 8k in the Valley of the Winds. It is cold, cloudy, misty and windy. Walking on rocks and in standing water. The hike is very difficult but we all take it slow, some decide to take an easier route. The scenery is so amazing. We see kanagroos on the ridge above us. The longer we hike the warmer it gets as the day proceeds and and by the end of the hike it is a glorious day!

We leave the valley and on the way to our campsite for the night we have to stop and gather firewood. Not just little sticks but we are knocking down dead trees not an easy task. The men get real involved in this task. Something very caveman about the whole thing.

Back on the road we spot wild herds of camels and horses. Our campsite tonight is on a cattle station (ranch) that also has a campsite, called the Kings Creek Station. The station is the largest exporter of wild camels in Australia and sells camels for live export, live domestic sales and meat.

We all take our snacks and wine up to a lookout to watch the sunset. It's a great view of the camel and beef herds that roam the fields below. The sunset was nice but not brilliant however the view of the valley was more that enough to satisfy everyone. I got to talking with a couple of Aussie about American politics and got separated from my group. It got dark quickly and I lost my way in the tangle of roads in the camp. So after wandering around I stopped at a campsite and the man there was more than happy to get his super magnum flashlight to get me back to my campsite. I was very close but my light was not strong enough to find the bend in the road. So within a minute I am back where I should be and the man identified himself as a cousin to Crocodile Dundee. But don't the all say that!!
Our dinner is cooked in large iron pots covered with hot coals. A pot of veggies, spicy and plain chicken legs, cocous cocous, and sweet bread. Very tasty. We roast marshmellows over the fire and another great day in the outback.







Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb