The Top End


Advertisement
Published: November 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

sweetheartsweetheartsweetheart

Visited the wonderful NT Museum and Art Gallery. This was a croc who capsized tinnies as he didn't like the noise of the outboard motors, and was nicknamed "Sweetheart" as he was more interested in the motor than the people.
Caught the Ghan from Alice to Darwin - one of the great Aussie train journeys. Booked a daynighter seat, which reclines like a dentist's chair. One tip - bring something to rest your feet, like a backpack or stool, as there is no footrest provided. Spent most of the trip reading, listening to music in the dining car, and talking to the other passengers. Even got to listen to some humorous bush poetry!

Darwin was the only capital city in Australia that I haven't visited. I expected it to be laidback, touristy & transient with an Asian influence. But who knew it would be full of German backpackers, and the most amusing gig in town was watching the young boys ogling & hitting on the young girls around the hostel pool? Or the most cringeworthy - the United Nations wet t-shirt competition at HP nightclub?

It's funny that it's taken me so long to come to this part of Australia. Went to all the usual tourist sites and national parks - Kakadu, Litchfield and Nitmiluk. Really stunning scenery. I've been told that the wet season is even more spectacular with cracking thunderstorms and a brilliance of colours; if you
darwin ski clubdarwin ski clubdarwin ski club

enjoying a coldie whilst waiting for the sunset. got talking to these navy lads - hilarious!
can withstand the almost 100% humidity.

Best eats - laksa at Parap markets, food stalls at Mindil Beach markets, 2 for 1 seafood buffet at Darwin Casino, organic health food stall just off the mall, cheapy thai place near Crocosaurus Cove; or the Darwin ski, trailer boat and sailing clubs (top sunset viewing too).


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Crocosaurus CoveCrocosaurus Cove
Crocosaurus Cove

Jumping crocs
Litchfield National ParkLitchfield National Park
Litchfield National Park

Buley Rock Pools


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb