Lessons in Discipline


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

CrocodileCrocodileCrocodile

A crocodile viewed from the Gulutambi Cultural Boat Tour
Once we had had breakfast, another as-much-as-you-can-eat affair, we started the day with the Guluyambi Aboriginal cultural boat tour on the East Alligator River. This was absolutely fantastic and even stopped off in Arnhem Land Aboriginal Reserve, which is usually off limits The point we were allowed to go apparently used to be a women’s picnic area and whilst there we received a talk about the Aboriginal culture.

We checked to see if our kids were listening to the part about the punishments that are still used for law breakers. There were different punishments for men and for women, neither of which made pleasant listening and usually involved a stick or something similar.

We also spotted loads of crocodiles, but it was without the birds that I remembered from the Yellow Waters cruise. Our Aboriginal guide let our son and daughter have a go at steering the boat on the way back, although he did have his hand very close to the steering wheel just in case.

There were toilets at the pier for the boat tour, however they consisted of a deep, dark hole in the ground. We were a bit concerned about our daughter using it,
Another CrocodileAnother CrocodileAnother Crocodile

Another crocodile viewed from the Gulutambi Cultural Boat Tour
although she came back quite safely. We couldn’t imagine how traumatised she would be if she fell down that hole, not to mention the therapy I would need after retrieving her.

Nearby was another rock-art gallery this time at Ubirr Rock. This also had an excellent walk, with a lookout that gave some excellent views.

It was then time for the long drive back to Darwin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rock Art GalleryRock Art Gallery
Rock Art Gallery

The Aboriginal rock art gallery at Ubirr Rock
Kakadu ViewKakadu View
Kakadu View

The view from the top of Ubirr Rock


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb