Alice to East Macdonell to Rainbow Valley


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ruby Gap viewRuby Gap viewRuby Gap view

Spot Kate & Gill
We got to the Toyota dealership in Alice Springs and paid for the replacement rear windscreen $796 (thanks for coming) and arranged to drop the car off on Thursday morning to be fixed. We walked into Alice town centre whilst the car was being fixed and we bumped into Amy & Owen (met them at Chambers Pillar, they are from Berwick) - they were waiting for replacement clutch, which broke in Alice Springs and were waiting for parts to arrive.

Picked up car and got cardboard to cover new rear windscreen. Went to see School of Air - very interesting. Bought groceries, did washing - boring. Kids had a swim in pool at Caravan Park. Got to 27° again today. Getting warmer.

Headed out to East Macdonell Ranges, set up camp at Trephina Gorge. Went to N’Dhala Gorge to see Rock Carvings. Had to walk along stones in riverbed - fun. Lit fire, cooked tea and had early night.

Next day went to Arltunga Historical Gold Reserve and then Ruby Gap. Kate found the garnets in the riverbed. We spent 1 hour to find a tablespoon full, as they are only 2-5mm in size. Sunday morning looked at
Trephina GorgeTrephina GorgeTrephina Gorge

Wind blown!
Trephina Gorge - best so far, and left to get supplies before heading to Rainbow Valley.

It is nice to pay only $7.70 for a family for a night of accommodation. We keep meeting Victorians who are escaping the cold. We collected wood on the way in as you have to collect it from outside the National Parks and plenty on the way. As you can see in the photo Alex & Kate had a tiff and walked off in opposite directions as I took the photo. The sunset is beautiful, but didn't last long.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Collecting firewoodCollecting firewood
Collecting firewood

Sibling rivalry
Rainbow ValleyRainbow Valley
Rainbow Valley

Sunset is good.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb