Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
May 28th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Darwin



We’ve had an incredible few days in and around Darwin, loving the warm and dry weather that provided perfect conditions for fishing and sightseeing around the city.
The view of Darwin Harbour was fantastic from the waterfront precinct – with cute frangipani flowers on the trees that lined the streets from the harbour to Fannie Bay and surrounds.
The Parap markets were a hive of activity with many jewellery and food stores to be seen. We caught up with Matt and Amelia (friends from uni - Matt an old highschool colleage of Sherees’).
Since we've travelled over 14,000km's we thought we'd better get a service on the Triton while in town, and no less than 24hours after the service we found a flat tyre which Lach suspects the valve was leaking (as we couldn't locate a foreign object within the tread). Oh well - tyre pressure seems to be constant now so with a bit of good luck we'll make it home no worries!
We drove out towards the western border of Kakadu National Park, helping Tom put the boat in at Corroboree Billabong. Here between us we caught 7 barramundi, 1 saratoga, 1 tarpon and a few pesky catfish. The biggest barra measured 60cm, which Tom managed to land within 2 minutes of disembarking from the boat ramp. Corroboree Billabong was magnificent – with a variety of wildlife to be seen after such a good wet season. Lily pads with vibrant pink flowers created a boundary between the billabong and surrounding wetland while pandanus palms were also in abundance.
Sea eagles watched carefully with each fish we reeled in, while massive saltwater crocodiles kept a good eye on us from a safe distance. Most crocs seemed around 4 metres in length, with one exceptional 5.5metre salty who we approached in stealth mode before he made a quick entry to the depths of the billabong! Jabiru and magpie geese flew overhead, while wild pigs with their piglets fossicked around in the shallows – very tempting for nearby predators that camouflaged with only eyes and snout being visible.
The following day we spent venturing into Darwin harbour along some mangroves to entice some mudcrabs into our pots. By the end of the day we’d pulled the 10 pots 3 times and came home with 11 massive mudcrabs. We had a great time out on the water, sinking a few beverages and reminiscing on uni days and living with Tom. So grateful we can catch up with friends so far from home! Thanks for everything Tom & Angus, Matt & Amelia – we’ll definitely have to come visit up this way again.
We plan to head down the red centre, so cooked up a few crabs for the travel home. Uluru here we come!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



29th May 2011

Hello from DENILIQUIN
Hi Sheree and Lachie, you are both having a great time, in Darwin, its a very pretty place, and you made us very envious, with those beautiful fish and especially those crabs,they look magnificat bring a few home for your poor old grandparents, we feel hungry looking at them. Its very cold here again today, still know rain but the sun is shining. Thanks for your very interesting blog we love it. Take Care with lots of Love Nana and Pop........

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb