Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock



From one beauty to the next – we departed Watarrka National Park and set out for Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.
On arrival we set up the camper at Ayers Rock Campground ($36/night unpowered site), then headed for The Olgas (Kata Tjuta).
The Olgas are best described as 36 steep sided domes of conglomerate rock, with the highest dome around 546meters above the plain – 200 metres higher than Ayers Rock. The Olgas are about 32km’s west of the big red rock, and we managed to fit in the Valley of the Winds walk before sunset.
The walk took 7.4km’s, passing between the magnificent high domes and through creek beds past Karingana lookout. With the sun heading towards the horizon we headed to the sunset lookout to admire Ayers Rock in all its’ afternoon glory. As we watched the colours change from roaring red to a ruby silhouette we were in awe of such size and beauty.
Ayers Rock (Uluru) is around 9.4km’s in circumference and lies 348 metres above the plain. It’s composed of sedimentary rock (arkose sandstone), and is estimated to have around two-thirds of its’ mass beneath the surface.
It was then an early rise in the morning to take in the sun rising behind the rock – giving fantastic silhouette photos. We headed to the base of Uluru to make our controversial climb to the top.
In all the literature handed out, traditional owners of the land advise of their concerns of visitors respecting their culture by not climbing Uluru. Despite this, we felt with a high level of fitness and no concerns about our safety, this was our final tick on the ‘to do’ list – we would make our way up to the top of the world famous monolith.
An hour and a half later we returned to the base to join an Aboriginal guided Mala walk – 2km’s in length. Our guide (Hezikial) shared dreamtime stories with local knowledge of bush tucker, hunting and people’s roles within the Anagnu community as he had lived traditionally for his first 17yrs of life. (Hadn’t seen a white fella, worn clothes or experienced the western luxuries including bottled water).
There was much to be learned from this wise soul!

km’s this leg of the journey 461
16,608 Km’s so far this trip



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb