Day 85 Daly Waters to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
September 27th 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

SunriseSunriseSunrise

Yet another sunrise from the bus
Day 85 Daly Waters to Alice Springs (Sun 26th Sept)

We were up before the dawn this morning so we could get going at 0430. Needless to say we all went straight to sleep once on the bus. We stopped at a road house for breakfast at 0715 and Matt was in a bit of a mood because his soccer team lost. Other than that the day was quite good. A long way to travel but a few breaks on the way. We stopped to climb a lookout hill at one point for some good views of the land and then shortly after we stopped at the Mary Ann dam.

We made Tennant Creek at 1000 and it was so very quite on a Sunday morning. Then we went on to spend a half hour at the Devil’s Marbles. They are an amazing formation and we could happily have spent a lot longer there. Heather and I climbed all around them taking pictures. They are rather large and some look perfectly round. Well worth the visit.

We also made a brief stop at a tiny little town which is apparently known for having the most UFO sightings in
Road TrainsRoad TrainsRoad Trains

A common sight out here
Australia. Not sure if the fact the town seemed to be made up of just a service station and a pub has anything to do with the statistics though...

We stopped at a pub for lunch, then went on to the Ti Tree Mango farm for some mango ice cream. Very nice too. We arrived in Alice Springs just in time to see the sun set. We made a quick stop to get some alcohol for the days ahead and Matt clearly wasn’t listening when Wombat was talking about the alcohol restrictions as the first thing he did was open a beer. Fortunately he was spotted straight away (by us) and not caught. The fines are rather steep. Here we are staying in a hostel. All the girls are sharing a dorm room again and at least this one is a nice size with a bathroom attached.

Some of the group went in to town for dinner but a few of us stayed and ate in. I also made the most of the available washing machines - rather hard to come by out here when camping.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb