Lightning Ridge has Opalised Fossils, Too!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 20th 2014
Published: June 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

A Pied ButcherbirdA Pied ButcherbirdA Pied Butcherbird

Note the sharp hook on the end of his beak. Perfect for tearing into carcasses.
Our last day at the Ridge started with some shopping for plastic boxes to store food in the top cupboard and make it easier to access, and to stop the contents of the fridge top shelf jumping around when we go on bumpy roads. Having found what I was after we went to look for the Opalised Fossils we’d heard about.



Instead, we came across Coopers Cottage, built in 1916 and now a very rusty shack which shows how the early miners built from whatever they could find. Barry was fascinated with the way they joined beams and the frame timbers (whole thin trunks or thick branches of trees) by just drilling a hole through them and tying them together with thick steel wire. The floor was bit of old carpet laid directly onto the dirt. The dunny out the back was collapsing into its hole, which Barry is convinced is an old mine shaft.



We then saw that the cafe truck “Bean About” was open today and seemed to be attracting customers. We decided to have a coffee and a pancake. We shared a New Yorker which was actually 5 small pancakes covered in
Cooper's Cottage, Lightning RidgeCooper's Cottage, Lightning RidgeCooper's Cottage, Lightning Ridge

Built in 1916, this cottage is fairly typical of the way miners constructed their dwellings, with whatever they could lay their hands on. The inside was just as ramshackle and innovative.
grilled cheese and topped with tomato slices and some ham. They were delicious and filling. Barry finished with a soft scoop ice cream (too cold and too sweet for me). One of the locals joined us and we asked for directions to the opal fossils, which was two buildings away in the Australian Opal Centre. He got talking about moving to the Ridge and what a great place it was. Everyone we speak to loves it. He also recommended we go to see Winton and the fossil excavations there.



At the Opal Centre, we saw some wonderful opalised plant, fish and animal remains, including small round cones, shells, dinosaur bones and even a set of false teeth a man named Harold Hodges had made from opal and used to wear. This building is just a temporary home for a small part of their collection. They are starting to build a $30 million complex to house it all, which they believe will attract scientists and tourists from all over the world. Australia is the only country in the world that has produced opalised fossils and the details that can be seen in them make them excellent to study.
The Dunny of Cooper's CottageThe Dunny of Cooper's CottageThe Dunny of Cooper's Cottage

The dunny (outside toilet) was sinking into the hole which Barry is convinced, after seeing the frame around it, was an old mine shaft.
I was also fascinated by a lovely stone from Madagascar called Labradorite, which shone iridescent blue and brown in the light. It was only $14 for one so I splashed out (not quite an opal but at least affordable!).



We decided to do the last Car Door Tour, the Blue one. It took us back onto the opal fields and past the Walk-In Mine (which we didn’t go in but in the forecourt it had some good examples of the mining equipment with explanations of its use); an open cut mine heap (long tall mound of clay); and Bevan’s Black Opal and Cactus Nursery. They have 2,300 different species of cactus but it was another $15 to enter so we admired the few at the entrance and moved on. All these entrance fees add up and we have to watch our pennies these days.



After doing some food shopping, I went in for a last soak in the Bore Baths. Barry didn’t come in as he found it a bit too hot last time. I’d just got into the pool when it started to rain. It felt very strange with my lower body in
The Australian Opal CentreThe Australian Opal CentreThe Australian Opal Centre

Part of the Opal Centre's collection is this set of false teeth made of opals. Harold Hodges, who had them made, used to wear them until he got sick of being asked to open his mouth for tourists!
hot water and my head & chest being wet with cold water.



Back at the van, after our Lamb Sausages and left over vegetables, we were a little concerned to hear the rain drumming on the roof again. We’ll have to go on about 4km of dirt road to get out of Lorne Station in the morning and it said the road was a dry weather road. I hope we don’t get bogged!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Australian Opal CentreThe Australian Opal Centre
The Australian Opal Centre

The collection also has many opalised fossils of animal and plant items. Some have amazing colour, like this "Yabby Button".
The Australian Opal CentreThe Australian Opal Centre
The Australian Opal Centre

There are also opalised dinosaur bones. We were told they have much bigger ones which they are looking forward to displaying when the new $30 million Australian Opal Museum is finished.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb