Forster


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
April 9th 2012
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday morning we farewelled Rosie and the family and drove south to Forster. It was only about 45minutes south from Rosie's place. We stayed in a caravan park situated beside the breakwall on the Forster side of the Forster/Tuncurry bridge. We had a beautiful view over the channel and we even saw some dolphins swim by.

We spent a few days here at Forster. The first two days were windy, wet and very cold but the following days were lovely and sunny again. We went for a drive to Booti Booti National Park and visited Cape Hawke lookout. We then drove on to visit Seven Mile Beach, Elizabeth Beach and Boomerang Beach.

The Great Lakes area comprises of three beautiful big lakes which cover an area that is three times bigger than Sydney Harbour;- Smiths Lake, Wallis Lake and the Myall Lakes. 280 different bird species have been found in this area. Steve and I went on a lunch cruise on the Wallis Lake on Thursday. Wallis Lake has many Oyster Farms and produces 1/4 of all of Australia's rock oysters. The lake is crystal clear though quite shallow in parts.

"The Great Lakes system covers 80 square kilometres on the mid-north coast of New South Wales. It drains four rivers: the Wallamba, Wang Wauk, Coolongolook and Wallingat into the sea at Forster. Besides its commercial fishery, it supports oyster farming worth $14 million and is the centre piece of a $200 million a year tourism industry."

On Thursday evening we met Rosie at Nabiac Hotel for dinner and then, on Friday, we returned home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

on the Breakwallon the Breakwall
on the Breakwall

the Forster/Tuncurry bridge in the background
DolphinsDolphins
Dolphins

we were thrilled to see dolphins swimming in the channel
Dinner with RosieDinner with Rosie
Dinner with Rosie

at Nabiac Hotel
A Welcome home giftA Welcome home gift
A Welcome home gift

from our lovely daughter, Meagan- Thankyou Meg x


14th April 2012

More lovely photos thank you Sue and Steve
What a nice time you both had! Thank you for blogging. Also liked the photos of the Oyster farm and farmers - will tell Michael to have a look!!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb