Victoria to NSW


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 3rd 2014
Saved: November 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

VICTORIA TO NSW



As in New South Wales



In Port Fairy we discovered information about the huge Norfolk Pine trees and why they fare so well on the windy harbors. The limbs are all parallel to the ground and each other, allowing the frequent and strong gusts to pass through the trees with little effect. Walking thru the town, we spoke to a couple, gardening in their yard, and discovered the secrets of catching water in cisterns for the long months of little rainfall. In many areas we had seen signs on water faucets indicating “bore water”. Was it spring water? Safe to drink? And from the locals we found out that it is water from underground, but generally not for drinking, either due to distinct taste or contamination. Certainly good information for those of us dependent on local water sources.



Sunday morning boaters were very active in Port Fairy and let us know about the vagaries of the winds from the Southern Ocean.



As we headed inland toward the Grampian Range of Mountains, Hall’s Gap and Ararat we are continually aware that kangaroos, wallabys, koalas and emus are commonly seen and visual traffic warning signs abound. Now we understand the need for “Bull guards” or “Roo Guards” as well as the newer electronic devices on many of the local vehicles. The damage from hitting a kangaroo is very similar and as frequent as the damage from hitting a deer.



The farms and fields that we drive thru are brown and streams are dry. We have been reassured that all will be beautifully green in September as the rains start in April. The towns that we visit in this area are particularly proud of their gold mining heritage and the Chinese mining and heritage culture is venerated and heavily promoted in each of these small towns.



As we head toward and enter the capital of Australia, Camberra, the rains have begun and although we tried to view this beautiful and totally planned city from a double-decker bus, a soaking rain was a distinct deterrent.



Our next focus was the southern coast of Australia, known as the Melbourne-Sydney Coastal drive that we entered at Bateman’s Bay heading toward Sydney. Eventually the gorgeous weather returned and we were able to enjoy the white sand beaches, blowholes and beautiful light house in Kiama and the area. Again, the availability of camping sites, during the shoulder season, close to centers of interest, has enabled us to see these wonders at different times of day and with few other visitors.



Finally. we reached Sydney and parked at the Lone Cove Nature Center, about ½ hr. train ride from City Centre. We were able to take advantage of the day passes for trains, buses and ferries to explore the city for the next several days and prepare to fly home via Dallas/Fort Worth (15 hrs) and then to Logan (3 hrs).



Another ‘Trip of a Lifetime” completed We now look forward to using our own MH to do some extensive traveling in North America.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb