Day 3 & 4 ......the big trip to Oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 1st 2014
Published: April 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

An early start on Tuesday as we set of from the Fairmont Hotel back to Dubai airport for the 13 hour trip to Sydney.

Again Emirates were a big hit with the family.....even in the last few years the amount of entertainment laid on at your fingertips through movies, TV programmes, music, games etc means that even a journey such as this was relatively painless. David even mananged to set a new all comers (well everyone on the plane that is) record score in the online trivia game. Alex was also able to access his intranet site to do some Latin study whilst in the air !!! although enevitably it eventually took second place to the various films on offer.

What the most advanced plane in the air cannot take account of is the unexpected!!! About 8 hours into the flight I noticed that we appeared to have taken a sharp left turn which given we were over the Indian Ocean, caught my attention. A quick chat with the air steward confirmed that we were diverting to Singapore due to a medical emergency.

Eventually the pilot confirmed this and we ended up at Singapore airport at midnight (on some time zone or other). However despite my concern that we would be stranded on the tarmac for the rest of the night, we quickly had the medics on board, refuelled and then set off for an 8 hour flight to Sydney.

As a result we ended up in Sydney at around noon on Wednesday some 5 hours later than planned. Just to cap it off, only 4 out of our 5 bags decided to make the journey with us and unfortunately it was Michele's. The family censor has banned me from making any sarcastic comments about this so I will leave a space for you to fill in your own!!!

2 hours later we arrived at the Colfers gorgeous new home in Wahroonga which is in the North of Sydney. The aim by that time was to try and stay awake until the evening and so we had a great afternoon relaxing on the veranda with the kids picking up where they left off and getting stuck into swimming, tennis with a bit of cricket and football thrown in.

Izzi went off in the evening with Rochelle to pick up Chloe from her school and then we had a lovely meal with the two families catching up.

Despite a few moments when one or other of the Colemans nearly fell face down in their food, we all coped admirably with the lack of sleep and jet lag and all had a really great night sleep. When Michele and I awoke around 7.30 am the following morning the kids were already up and Alex and Tom were having breakfast whilst watching the live coverage of Chelsea in the Champions league......clearly it is going to take some getting used to the 10 hour time difference!!

Enough for now, the next blog will cover our first little adventure in Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



4th April 2014

You've arrived.
Your first blog from Sydney has just come through, 21.30pm. Friday 4 th. Hope you have all got over your long journey and caught up with your sleep ready to enjoy the sights and sounds of Australia. Have a lovely weekend of fun with the family, they all look very happy to see you again.looking forward to the next instalment. Are you receiving our comments? Love Mum.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb