The long journey home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
June 5th 2012
Published: June 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Enjoying the relative luxury of our hotel room we slept in till 8am before getting up to pack and indulge in our inclusive breakfast. With a great variety available from the buffet we got our money's worth before heading back to the room to finish cramming our bags.

At the point of checkout we experienced a minor set back when we went to get on the hotels airport shuttle as there wasn't one as was confirmed the day before! After a little work by the concierge we got booked onto a shuttle bus and were on our way to the airport. The stress levels at the check-in desk continued to rise as we had too much and the check-in clerk was sticking to the limits, and at a cost of $60 per extra kilo we quickly emptied our bags of non essential items and got the scales to read acceptable numbers! At the security control there was another minor delay as we hadn't been given our immigration cards to fill in, needless to say Cathay Pacific were not our favourite airline by this point!

Soon after passing security it was time to board given our earlier unexpected delays so we found our seats and picked out several films to watch enroute to Hong Kong. Before flying on our second flight we had a stop over for a couple of hours, but as we were starting to feel fatigue from our adventures we waited it out at the boarding gate.

Soon after take-off on our final flight of the adventure we were both sound asleep, only waking as the food was being served. Just as we were getting close to Heathrow there was a tannoy announcement to inform us there was a medical emmergency on board, and as a result our descent was very quick and we soon found ourselves landing ahead of schedule.

As we walked through into the arrivals hall we were welcomed by both our families, balloons and a banner, so we guessed we'd been missed! After brushing away the tears and handing out hugs it was time for us to travel home with our respective families and draw a close to our amazing nine month adventure, finishing the journey as we started it with the people most important to us, although we had a few more stories and memories to share.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0977s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb