Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
August 3rd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sydney Opera House & BridgeSydney Opera House & BridgeSydney Opera House & Bridge

Captured from the ferry on the way to Taronga Zoo.
We always enjoyed our visits to Sydney in 2006, and this trip was no exception. In retrospect, we probably should have booked a couple of extra days!

After taking the train from Gosford, we found our hotel, just around the corner from the train station. We were luckily upgraded to a one bedroom apartment with a loft bedroom and a pull-out couch for Alex. It worked beautifully. Our train ticket from Gosford was a Sunday Family Funday special - $5 total. This ticket entitled us to travel the trains all day. So, after dropping our things, we hopped back on the train and took it down to Circular Quay, aiming for the last hour of the Rocks Market on a Sunday afternoon. Instead, we found ourselves right in the middle of a one-day coffee/tea/chocolate festival! Navigating the closed streets with a stroller was a bit of a challenge. We did find our way to the market and not a lot has changed in 5 years. Alex could only see knees, so conked out in his stroller for about an hour. We walked back to our hotel - all the way up George Street from Circular Quay to Central. It was a great walk.

We set Monday aside for visiting Darling Harbour and the aquarium. The harbour was absolutely packed full with various boats - the Sydney boat show was on! We enjoyed the trip to the aquarium, and Alex was actually more interested in some of the underwater sections than we thought he would be. He was most intrigued when the divers went into the shark tank to feed the fish, turtles and sharks. We saw some beautiful fish and even penguins! After the aquarium, we walked the Harbourview Shopping Centre, hoping to get Alex to sleep. Eventually he gave in and we had a nice lunch on the harbour. Once he woke (after only 45 minutes,) we made our way across the CBD to the Botanical Gardens. Bats and Cockatoos were the main attractions here. The cockatoos were so tame, they would land right on you... it helped that others had thrown bread out on the grass 😉 Another walk up George Street to our hotel.

Tuesday was a visit to Taronga Zoo. We took a ferry from Darling Harbour to the Zoo and enjoyed the fantastic views throughout our walk. Alex enjoyed the animals - elephants, giraffes, chimpanzees ... but we only got a 20-minute nap out of him in his stroller. Too many interesting things to see. After making our way back to Darling Harbour on the ferry, Alex decided to play in one of the water features. He went up and down the spiral steps for nearly half an hour! Needless to say, he slept very soundly through our final night in Sydney.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Alex's CameraAlex's Camera
Alex's Camera

Alex built this camera and took pictures all day.


9th April 2012
Black cockatoo

new south wales accommodation
great post &Sydney great venue for tourism .

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 25; qc: 137; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb