Another trip ends.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 15th 2011
Published: May 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


'A vision splendid'A vision splendid'A vision splendid

of the sunlit plains extended'
It was a cold morning but sunny as we packed up and left Forbes, first stopping in town to buy a few staples of food in Woollies. It was another pretty drive to Parkes, known for it's giant telescope and the annual Elvis Festival where Elvises from far and wide are spotted around town, swivelling hips and being all shook up.

On to Orange where we found a sunny spot to park and have lunch, saw a shop with underwear on sale so took advantage of that, and then left Orange for Bathurst. Orange and Bathurst had both had snow during the week but thankfully there was none left on the ground. We did get out and have a walk around but spent a lot of the time inside shops because of the cold wind.

The countryside was very pretty with sheep in paddocks and the ever present gum trees. I love ironbarks with their black rough and tough trunks and their delicate grey-green leaves - there were quite a few of those edging the road. The rugged (or is that ragged, Dorothea Mackellar?) Blue Mountains loomed when we came to Lithgow and we had a steep drive up Mt. Victoria, chugga chugga - the speed signs had us drop to 60 kph at the bottom of the hill so no chance of talking a fast run up it. We decided we’d stay the night at Blackheath. The caravan park was in a slight valley nr. Govett’s Leap – the dearest this trip at $38 after not paying more than $25 everywhere else. We hoped we wouldn't be snowed in or the hoses frozen in this chilly place.

We woke to heavy frost this morning but water could pour from taps and the day was sunny. We visited a few of the smart shops at Blackheath and one at Medlow Bath before leaving, and then it was down the mountain. There's quite a bit of roadwork happening on the Great Western Highway - about time too, as the two lanes in parts just can't handle the traffic - not so 'Great'. Finally we reached Sydney - several degrees warmer and looking great in the sunshine.

And so ends another motor home trip ... the next one we'll be heading north and towards 28 degrees!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb