Lardy R at Mardi Gras


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 4th 2006
Published: April 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Funny how I was supposed to be home working back at Smarts several weeks ago, and yet I'm still here in Oz, having done no travel, casually allowing my plans to grow and the trip to extend, month by month.

But sacre blur, how could I even have thought to come to Sydney and leave just before Mardi Gras, one of the biggest events in the Galendar, (for the uninitiated...to turn anything gay, just replace the first letter with 'g'), when this little continent plays host to the worlds biggest LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender), festival and parade?!???

Exactly. I couldn't miss it, even if the tickets were rather pricey and it was going to be a logistical nightmare trying to get everybody in the same place at the same time, still, it's not every year you get to go to Sydney Mardi Gras, and unsurprisingly, the city was crying out for me to attend.

Tickets were bought, preparations were made, fabulous outfits were assembled and for one small weekend, to the sound of Wonder Woman playing over the PA, the hostel became The Pink Parrot.

....

The parts of the parade that I saw were pretty amazing - Dykes on Bikes, Bob Down, terrifying drag queens, leather bears, Brokeback cowboys, there was even an Ikea float(!) - but in spite of my lanky 6foot 2 frame couldn't tower over the large number of people who'd stacked milk crates in front of us to get better views. Still, we were a lively crowd of around 20, we were all dolled up to the nines and most importantly, we were getting wasted on cheap white wine and Pink Punch - it couldn't go wrong - we had a fantastic time!

...

When we finally rolled up to the official club night at Fox Studios around midnight, I walked in with Scottish Joe, squeezed through the crowds and entered the main dance floor.

Immediately we were awestruck and completely gob-smacked! The hall was HUGE with the most outstanding lighting and sound setup, blasting out some wicked tunes. I turned to Joe and we both just started laughing uncontrollably, running on to the floor and dancing like loons till the other boyz arrived. During the night we flitted from dance floor to dance floor, through the monstrous maze, glow-sticks whirling, trying desperately to find the best music, when really, it was all brilliant.

By the time 8 or 9 AM arrived, our dancing shoes had worn off and we skipped drunkenly back to Chris' apartment for a much needed smoke, jacuzzi and swim in his pool. After chilling and talkin shite for several hours we headed back to The Columbian in Oxford Street, joining all the other insomniacs who were still dancing on through, not wanting the weekend to end.

I can't recommend Sydney Mardi Gras more, it's amazing, do it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 114; dbt: 0.1178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb