Published: July 2nd 2006June 26th 2006
Kathy & Allan's wedding
Safely made it home to Australia to be Kathy's Maid of Honour
Touched down in Sydney tonight and was so happy!
I actually flew into Sydney on Thursday but went to the Gold Coast for my cousin's wedding. Tonight will be my first night in my own bed!!! I am so looking forward to it!
Our Europe trip was so much fun! We saw a lot of things in a short amount of time! I'm looking at the photos now and it's really hitting me what we actually did!
- Fave cities - Barcelona - it's clean, has wide streets, best shopping, getting around on public transport is easy. I also liked Lucerne. Lucerne was just beautiful! Also had fantastic weather there. Amsterdam, friendliest people! Singapore, first-class city. Very modern!
- Least fave cities - London, so expensive and people not so friendly. Paris, smokers smokers smokers!
- Fave things I saw - Eiffel Tower, it is not overrated at all! Also liked Notre Dame, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain and the castle in Carsaconne.
- Fave foods - Pasta in Florence (don't even know the official name of it!) and also pasta in Prague...both fetuccine. Pizza in Italy is yummy and cheap! Crepe in Avignon, France. Chinese food from Chinatown in London. Chocolate chip cookie ice-cream sandwhich in Italy.
- Best buffet breakfast on tour - Bilbao, Spain (everything you could wish for was there!)
- Worst breakfast on tour - Cologne, Germany (ran out of food at the buffet and didn't top it up!)
- Best included dinner on tour - Poitiers, France (a real steak!)
- Worst included dinner on tour - Bilbao, Spain (rice, fried egg and tomato sauce on top?)
- Best optional on tour - Trip to Mt Titlis, snow!!!! Dancing fountains in Barcelona, very pretty! Paris cabaret, very entertaining.
- Worst optional on tour - River Rhine cruise in Germany, it was cold, long and saw a few so-so castles.
- Best hotels - NH Frankfurt City Hotel (Germany) - modern, central, professional. Rendezvous Singapore - great service, central. Amrey Diagonal (Spain) - modern, clean, close to shops, free Internet...need I say more?.
- Worst hotels - Ibis Berthiers (Paris), tiniest room! Ibis (Poitiers), second tiniest room.
- Places I'd go back to - Amsterdam, to see the red-light district! Can't believe we didn't see it. Prague/Madrid, would be awesome to go back with friends. Barcelona, just to shop and relax. Paris, maybe to experience it when I'm not sick and climb the Eiffel Tower. Munich, to see the castles I missed out on. Rome, to see missed landmarks and just to enjoy the city. Our hotel was too far from the centre so didn't see much really! Singapore, to shop of course!
- Places I wouldn't go back to - Venice, I think once is enough. Very touristy and pricey. Poitiers, the town is so tiny. I think we covered most of it the one night we stayed.
- Best buys - Tops from Singapore. Zara dress, leather boots and jewellery from Barcelona. Czech crystal jewellery from Prague. Shoes/bag/perfume/make-up at Singapore airport while in transit.
- Wish I had bought - Boots from Amsterdam. Espadrilles in Barcelona. More magnets from each place. More Aussie World Cup stuff from Germany.
- Cheapest cities - Barcelona (clothes, souvenirs), Prague (food, drink, accommodation, local brands shopping), Singapore (food, drink, accommodation, designer brands).
- Most expensive cities - London (everything - urgh! except for paracetemol & antihistamines?), Amsterdam (accommodation).
- Best airline on trip - Singapore Airlines wins hands-down! Entertainment system is the best. Food is delicious. Flight attendants are helpful and friendly. Lots of freebies!
- Worst airline on trip - BMI, how small is the plane and how stingy can an airline be!
- Highlights of trip - Seeing Socceroos win against Japan...I'll never forget it! Heineken Experience in Amsterdam, so much fun! A definite must-do!
- Lowlights of trip - Losing my passport in Heathrow.
All in all a fantastic experience! Very thankful to have had it! Thanks for reading and posting comments! :)