Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Opera House
Blogs from Opera House
Latest Blogs from Opera House
- December 31st 2013 New Years Eve in Sydney
by Words: 263 Photos: 2
- September 23rd 2013 Sydney life
by Words: 254 Photos: 19
- March 9th 2013 Sydney, Australia
by Words: 790 Photos: 74
- March 20th 2012 End of OZ
by Words: 839 Photos: 0
- September 18th 2011 High Tea @ the Opera House!
by Words: 769 Photos: 5
- August 25th 2011 Welcome to 'Straya!
by Words: 595 Photos: 9
- July 23rd 2011 Day 17 - Sydney Sites
by Words: 354 Photos: 8
- April 14th 2011 A wee Scottish toon and the road to Sydney!!
by Words: 701 Photos: 12
- January 11th 2011 Wau Wau Sisters @ Sydney Opera House
by Words: 507 Photos: 11
- December 28th 2010 We've arrived!
by Words: 448 Photos: 15
- November 8th 2010 Day 2
by Words: 242 Photos: 10
- September 20th 2010 Opera
by Words: 567 Photos: 17
- May 10th 2010 Mission accomplie!!!!
by Words: 1535 Photos: 7
- April 4th 2010 Final week in Sydney
by Words: 580 Photos: 19
- March 3rd 2010 Happy B-Day
by Words: 349 Photos: 17
- February 13th 2010 Australia - Sydney
by Words: 33 Photos: 22
- January 22nd 2010 Day 2
by Words: 1087 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2010 Day 3 Sydney & Bondi Beach Tour
by Words: 804 Photos: 28
- January 5th 2010 Australia - Part 5 (Tasmania / Sydney NYE)
by Words: 648 Photos: 22
- December 19th 2009 Sydney
by Words: 1155 Photos: 24