Day 48: Australia Day in Sydney‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
January 26th 2013
Published: January 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The 26th January is celebrated as 'Australia Day' marking the first day the ships arrived with the convicts aboard, back in 1788. Think 'queens jubilee' or 'independence day' -type celebrations, with flags, music, food etc. We caught the train from Emu Plains to central Sydney arriving mid-morning and headed up to The Rocks and Darling Harbour for the celebrations. The main programme started at 7pm with numerous speeches and the ships and tall ship parade around the harbour. This was followed by a pretty spectacular firework and light display finale! After a long day on our feet we caught the train back to pick up the campervan and had a brief drive to Sun Valley to visit my cousins Alison & Simon (who had kindly taken us in for the night).
Baileys bit: There were plenty of events all over the city for all ages and interests including a children's stage (with the wiggles if you know who they are) in hyde park, music on the harbour and vintage and super cars amongst other things. A very fun day out and still plenty more to see in the coming days.

Daily mileage: 4 went for a run the other way out of the caravan park, up towards the Blue Mountains, not a great deal to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb