Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Clovelly
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Clovelly
Latest Blogs from Clovelly
- June 2nd 2011 Beginning to Blog...
by Words: 33 Photos: 0
- April 25th 2011 Day 1 of our adventure Departing Sydney
by Words: 278 Photos: 2
- February 3rd 2010 Sydney, Australia
by Words: 694 Photos: 9
- November 4th 2007 So Lucky to Have Such Great Friends in Sydney!
by Words: 1340 Photos: 4
- December 20th 2006 IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!!
by Words: 317 Photos: 3
- November 5th 2006 Random Stuff!
by Words: 190 Photos: 11
- October 29th 2006 We're moving!!!
by Words: 246 Photos: 12
- April 5th 2006 Day ?: Home Again Home Again, Jiggitty Jig.
by Words: 23 Photos: 5